Identifying Audio CDs
Author Message
 Identifying Audio CDs

Does anyone know how to program in VB4 a method of identifying the audio
CD which is in the CD Drive.  I want to include a play-list for each audio
CD, like typical CD players under Windows.  Since I can't see a unique volume name for each CD, I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks for any help given.

Michael Thompson,                       |
Reactive Extrusion Group                |   "I didn't become a vegetarian
Department of Chemical Engineering      |    because I love animals, I became
University of Waterloo, ON.             |    a vegetarian because I hate
N2L 3G1  Canada                         |    plants."  - Anonymous

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Identifying Audio CDs

Hi Michael,

The way I did this when writing my CD Player was to key the CD by the
number of milliseconds it was in length. I reasoned that it was unlikely
that I would have two CDs exactly the same number of milliseconds long. You
can get this figure from the MMControl. Then I looked up my playlist
database based on this key number. I can send example code (ie. my working
CD Player) to you if you like.

Hope this helps.
Christopher

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to program in VB4 a method of identifying the audio
> CD which is in the CD Drive.  I want to include a play-list for each
audio
> CD, like typical CD players under Windows.  Since I can't see a unique

volume name for each CD, I can't figure out how to do this.

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Identifying Audio CDs

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to program in VB4 a method of identifying the audio
> CD which is in the CD Drive.  I want to include a play-list for each
audio
> CD, like typical CD players under Windows.  Since I can't see a unique

volume name for each CD, I can't figure out how to do this.
Quote:

> Thanks for any help given.

> --

-

Quote:
> Michael Thompson,                       |

To uniquly identify a CD write any alogarythm that deals with the Number of
tracks, Length of Album, and/or Length of a specific track.  For Example:

CD_ID = NumOfTracks * LengthOfDisk * LengthOfTrack1

If you use the Media Controler Control you can get this information form
the properties

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Identifying Audio CDs

Quote:

>Does anyone know how to program in VB4 a method of identifying the audio
>CD which is in the CD Drive.  I want to include a play-list for each audio
>CD, like typical CD players under Windows.  Since I can't see a unique volume name for each CD, I can't figure out how to do this.

>Thanks for any help given.

>--
>Michael Thompson,                       |
>Reactive Extrusion Group                |   "I didn't become a vegetarian
>Department of Chemical Engineering      |    because I love animals, I became
>University of Waterloo, ON.             |    a vegetarian because I hate
>N2L 3G1  Canada                         |    plants."  - Anonymous

This is usually accomplished by a method of adding the track times.  I
can send you a VB source on how it is done for MicroSoft's ID scheme.
This is not a universal method, different players may use different
schemes.

--
Wolfgang John    - AM-WOLJO Shareware -

 - Phone Dialer and Logger - CD Player and Library - Win3.1 / Win95
- CD Player imports from GIANT internet library -
- FREE programmable 6 cities/countries world clock -

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Identifying Audio CD's

2. Identifying an audio CD

3. Help: Identifying a CD on insert and reading audio tracks

4. Win APIs to play mpg video files, mp3 audio files and audio cds

5. CD-Text from Audio CDs

6. CD-Audio Player with multiple CD-ROMS...

7. Accessing multiple Audio CDs in CD Changers?

8. Use 2nd CD-ROM drive to play CD Audio

9. Identifying CD-ROM

10. Identifying CD's

11. Identifying CD Drive letter

12. How to identify CD Drive Letter