Answer to comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx registration problems
Author Message
 Answer to comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx registration problems

        This refers to an earlier post I made about being unable to register
comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx during setup. I finally had to get on to
Microsoft for the answer. It appears that installing the Custom Control
Creation Edition on my machine was a big mistake. Microsoft advised not to
install this on any machines that are running VB4, as numerous dll's
required by VB4 get over written by newer versions that are not compatible
with other dll's required by VB4. (They also warned that Office 97 is
likely to cause the same problems, so be warned !).
        To solve the problem I had to drop my olepro32.dll back to version 4.x (on
the VB4 cd), replacing version 5.x which was on my machine. I had to also
replace mfc40.dll and msvcrt40.dll (which I had to do in DOS) with the
versions on the VB4 cd (or maybe from someone else PC, I don't recall
precisely). I then had to delete comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx off of my
machine as they were version 5 plus (with a description Active X controls).
I then copied the older versions of these (4.x) off of the cd (they have a
description of OLE control DLL as opposed to Active X). These need then to
be registered using regsvr32.exe. After this everything seemed to work
fine.
        Microsoft suggested putting the older version in a different directory and
then just pointing to them when using the Setup Wizard, as opposed to
pointing to those in WinSys. Both ways seem to work fine. Hope this helps,

Chris Santer, Lucas County Data Processing, Toledo OH

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. COMCTL32.OCX, COMDLG32.OCX, among other problems...

2. Problems registering comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

3. Problems Loading Comctl32.ocx and Comdlg32.ocx

4. Problems Loading Comctl32.ocx and Comdlg32.ocx

5. COMCTL32.OCX and COMDLG32.OCX problems.

6. problem with comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx

7. Comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx??

8. Cant load Comdlg32.ocx or comctl32.ocx

9. Setup Wiz (Registration Blues - mfc40.dll, grid32.ocx, comdlg32.ocx)

10. Problem with registration of COMDLG32.OCX

11. COMCTL32.OCX registration problem

12. Dependency Files for comctl32.ocx and comctl32.ocx