8.3 File Naming Convention Conversion
Author Message
 8.3 File Naming Convention Conversion

Does anyone know how to convert a path to the old 8.3 naming
convention?

I would really appreciate a hand in this.

Thanks

Fri, 02 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 8.3 File Naming Convention Conversion

Quote:

> Does anyone know how to convert a path to the old 8.3 naming
> convention?

Please define "convert a path" fully. If you mean take an existing
Win95 style directory and convert it into a MS DOS 6.22 compliant
directory,
I do not think it is possible unless assembly and /or low level C is
used.
Even then I am not sure if it is possible to do.

If you mean take a file from Win95 format and convert that file into
a MS DOS 6.NN style file, it is simply knowing the correct file storage
protocols followed by a conversion. Some data will be lost as neccessity
from such a downward file conversion. Where such file formats can be
acquired is unknown to myself. Yet I am sure if one looks hard enough
you can find out most of them.

It would help if you would state exactly you are trying to do. I
personally
have some confusion on what you wish to do.

Quote:

--
BEEP I am Midnight Rambler.  I ramble all over USENET just
for the heck of it. I have only 4 or 5 USENET newsgroups that

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 8.3 File Naming Convention Conversion
Your first guess was correct.  I wish to take a long file name ex.
c:\Program Files\Microsoft and run a routine that will generate
c:\Progra~1\Micros~1 (assuming, of course, that the integer values
would be correct).

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 8.3 File Naming Convention Conversion
It seems that the answer has been provided in a later comment with the
WINAPI function GetShortPathName.

Thanks all!

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 8.3 file name to Long file name

2. Long file names to 8.3 File names convertion

3. Add discriptive comments list to file 8.3 file names

4. Getting DOS 8.3 path from Windows long file name

5. 8.3 File Naming Conve

6. 8.3 File Names

7. vb4: getting 8.3 filename from long file name

8. Convert Long File Name to 8.3 Notation

9. ODBC to CSV Text files Fails if name longer than 8.3

10. converting long file names into 8.3 Dos with VB5

11. How to get short DOS 8.3 file names from long filenames

12. Why is attachment name in 8.3 format