CreateThread API 
Author Message
 CreateThread API

Has anyone had any luck in VB calling this API function?

I have seen and downloaded several examples of it, written my own code
(which doesn't GPF anymore) but I still can't get it to create a new thread.
I compile the standard exe to native code, with no optimisations, but every
time the exe calls this function, the Function referenced in AddressOf is
not being executed and the value returned by the CreateThread call (supposed
to be the handle of the new thread) is zero.

Strangely, examples that I have downloaded do NOT work either.  I am using
VB5, on an NT machine (SP6a) as Admin.  Is there some conflict going on that
I'm not aware of?  Do I need the latest VB5 service pack in order to use
this call in my exe's?

Thanks
Alex Clark



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 CreateThread API
Hi!
Read very carefully article "a Thread in VB"
in www.desawase.com by Dan Appelman in technical articles before using
this API
If You can't write correct declaration or can't call that API -
read that article twice or 3 times (and don't call that API)

Good luck

Quote:

> Has anyone had any luck in VB calling this API function?

> I have seen and downloaded several examples of it, written my own code
> (which doesn't GPF anymore) but I still can't get it to create a new thread.
> I compile the standard exe to native code, with no optimisations, but every
> time the exe calls this function, the Function referenced in AddressOf is
> not being executed and the value returned by the CreateThread call (supposed
> to be the handle of the new thread) is zero.

> Strangely, examples that I have downloaded do NOT work either.  I am using
> VB5, on an NT machine (SP6a) as Admin.  Is there some conflict going on that
> I'm not aware of?  Do I need the latest VB5 service pack in order to use
> this call in my exe's?

> Thanks
> Alex Clark



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 CreateThread API
Interesting, but examples written by other people which are PROVEN to work
by them, or so they say, do NOT work on my system after compiling under VB5
Pro to native-code w/o optmisations, and symbolic debug info turned on.

Which is why I am asking, is there some conflict between running
multi-thread VB apps under NT, or with VB5 Pro, or is there some magic
ingredient in the latest VB5 service pack (which I don't have) that will
allow for multi-threading?


Quote:
> Hi!
> Read very carefully article "a Thread in VB"
> in www.desawase.com by Dan Appelman in technical articles before using
> this API
> If You can't write correct declaration or can't call that API -
> read that article twice or 3 times (and don't call that API)

> Good luck


> > Has anyone had any luck in VB calling this API function?

> > I have seen and downloaded several examples of it, written my own code
> > (which doesn't GPF anymore) but I still can't get it to create a new
thread.
> > I compile the standard exe to native code, with no optimisations, but
every
> > time the exe calls this function, the Function referenced in AddressOf
is
> > not being executed and the value returned by the CreateThread call
(supposed
> > to be the handle of the new thread) is zero.

> > Strangely, examples that I have downloaded do NOT work either.  I am
using
> > VB5, on an NT machine (SP6a) as Admin.  Is there some conflict going on
that
> > I'm not aware of?  Do I need the latest VB5 service pack in order to use
> > this call in my exe's?

> > Thanks
> > Alex Clark



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 CreateThread API
Hi!
I am wondering - I propose to read certain article as it is written by
one of the world best experts in VB and the article explains very
detailed
how to use multiple threads in VB, from where come the crashes happening
in this case and how to avoid such crashes.
He tells also about such examples and he gives the advise ....
There are answers to your questions too and It is better to read
original,as
my interpretation.

regards, Fedor Solodovnik

Quote:

> Interesting, but examples written by other people which are PROVEN to work
> by them, or so they say, do NOT work on my system after compiling under VB5
> Pro to native-code w/o optmisations, and symbolic debug info turned on.

> Which is why I am asking, is there some conflict between running
> multi-thread VB apps under NT, or with VB5 Pro, or is there some magic
> ingredient in the latest VB5 service pack (which I don't have) that will
> allow for multi-threading?



> > Hi!
> > Read very carefully article "a Thread in VB"
> > in www.desawase.com by Dan Appelman in technical articles before using
> > this API
> > If You can't write correct declaration or can't call that API -
> > read that article twice or 3 times (and don't call that API)

> > Good luck


> > > Has anyone had any luck in VB calling this API function?

> > > I have seen and downloaded several examples of it, written my own code
> > > (which doesn't GPF anymore) but I still can't get it to create a new
> thread.
> > > I compile the standard exe to native code, with no optimisations, but
> every
> > > time the exe calls this function, the Function referenced in AddressOf
> is
> > > not being executed and the value returned by the CreateThread call
> (supposed
> > > to be the handle of the new thread) is zero.

> > > Strangely, examples that I have downloaded do NOT work either.  I am
> using
> > > VB5, on an NT machine (SP6a) as Admin.  Is there some conflict going on
> that
> > > I'm not aware of?  Do I need the latest VB5 service pack in order to use
> > > this call in my exe's?

> > > Thanks
> > > Alex Clark



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. CreateThread API

2. CreateThread API

3. CreateThread API??

4. CreateThread API call

5. Using CreateThread API ???

6. CreateThread API Problems (urgent) ...

7. CreateThread API gives VB6 free-threading ability?

8. CreateThread api call?

9. CreateThread API or asynchronocity

10. CreateThread API function

11. CreateThread API call

12. Need help with CreateThread API

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software