Head-Scratcher: Plain Program Requires DLLs and OCXs?
Author Message
 Head-Scratcher: Plain Program Requires DLLs and OCXs?

OK, I wrote a very simple "Fireworks" screen saver which just shows
colorful little explosions on the screen.  The only controls I used
are the default ones in the Toolbox; scroll bars, buttons, text boxes
(for the options window).  No extra controls; very simple.

Buuuuut, when I compile that (and I've tried Fast and No Compiling
Options) and distribute it, it won't work on other systems, saying
that it requires OLEAUT32.DLL IIRC.  And yes, I'm using VB5
Professional. :-)

And it works flawlessly on my computer.

I'd like it to compile fully, so all I have to distribute is
Fireworks.exe (and the Setup file, of course).  What am I doing wrong?

(And yes, in case you're wondering, I know a Fireworks screen saver
won't be very popular; I'm trying to get this problem ironed out so I
can distribute a few, much more interesting screen savers) ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Brent P. Newhall
"Education never ceases."

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Head-Scratcher: Plain Program Requires DLLs and OCXs?

A VB5 exe still needs various support files to run correctly. Use the
Application Setup Lizard to generate a list of dependencies so you know what
files must be distributed with your exe.

Good luck!

Steve

Quote:

>OK, I wrote a very simple "Fireworks" screen saver which just shows
>colorful little explosions on the screen.  The only controls I used
>are the default ones in the Toolbox; scroll bars, buttons, text boxes
>(for the options window).  No extra controls; very simple.

>Buuuuut, when I compile that (and I've tried Fast and No Compiling
>Options) and distribute it, it won't work on other systems, saying
>that it requires OLEAUT32.DLL IIRC.  And yes, I'm using VB5
>Professional. :-)

>And it works flawlessly on my computer.

>I'd like it to compile fully, so all I have to distribute is
>Fireworks.exe (and the Setup file, of course).  What am I doing wrong?

>(And yes, in case you're wondering, I know a Fireworks screen saver
>won't be very popular; I'm trying to get this problem ironed out so I
>can distribute a few, much more interesting screen savers) ;-)

>Thanks in advance,

>Brent P. Newhall
>"Education never ceases."

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Head-Scratcher: Plain Program Requires DLLs and OCXs?

Re-compile your project. But, before that, remove all unneeded References
and Custom Controls from your project. You can do this by opening up these
dialogs on the Tools menu at the bottom. Just uncheck all the boxes. If it
brings up a message box saying it is needed, just move on to the next item.
Then, click ok and make the new EXE.

Hope this works.
--
Ryan Faricy
RySoft

VB5 Site: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rfaricy/index.html

The world keeps ending but new people too dumb to
it keep showing up as if the fun's just started.

John Updike - Rabbit is Rich

Quote:

>OK, I wrote a very simple "Fireworks" screen saver which just shows
>colorful little explosions on the screen.  The only controls I used
>are the default ones in the Toolbox; scroll bars, buttons, text boxes
>(for the options window).  No extra controls; very simple.

>Buuuuut, when I compile that (and I've tried Fast and No Compiling
>Options) and distribute it, it won't work on other systems, saying
>that it requires OLEAUT32.DLL IIRC.  And yes, I'm using VB5
>Professional. :-)

>And it works flawlessly on my computer.

>I'd like it to compile fully, so all I have to distribute is
>Fireworks.exe (and the Setup file, of course).  What am I doing wrong?

>(And yes, in case you're wondering, I know a Fireworks screen saver
>won't be very popular; I'm trying to get this problem ironed out so I
>can distribute a few, much more interesting screen savers) ;-)

>Thanks in advance,

>Brent P. Newhall
>"Education never ceases."

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. [VB/Word Problem - This is a real head-scratcher]

2. Head scratcher!

3. Weird Text Box "Head Scratcher"

4. sendkeys. here is a head scratcher

5. algorithm head scratcher

6. Making an Activex DLL act Like a Plain DLL

7. C & BASIC head to head etc

8. HELP get news article head program

9. EXE, OCXs and DLL

10. .DLLs, .OCXs, etc...

11. VB 6.0 and IE 6.0 system OCXs and DLLs incompatibilities

12. DLLs and OCXs needed to run a vb6 exe other than vb6rundll