Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data
Author Message
 Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

I have an application that includes a quite large (35,000 entries)
read-only array  packed with pre-existing data. For various reasons I
want the contents of this array to load with the application, not to be
read in from a file. Basically this is a knowledge-based system and I
need the knowledgebase included with the system.)

Using LISP, I would simply read the data in from a file or from a
database *at compile time*, and save a compiled image that includes the
data-filled array. I don't see how to do anything like this in VB5.0.

I would be willing (indeed eager) to build the array into a dll or an
ActiveX component/control, but don't see how to do this either.

Using an external database is of course an option and the system is
currently implemented ths way. However, for reasons of both security
and speed I'd like to use a pre-loaded internal array.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Please email me directly as
I do not regularly read this newsgroup.

Thanks!

-- Les Gasser

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

Quote:

> I have an application that includes a quite large (35,000 entries)
> read-only array  packed with pre-existing data. For various reasons I
> want the contents of this array to load with the application, not to
> be
> read in from a file. Basically this is a knowledge-based system and I
> need the knowledgebase included with the system.)

> Using LISP, I would simply read the data in from a file or from a
> database *at compile time*, and save a compiled image that includes
> the
> data-filled array. I don't see how to do anything like this in VB5.0.

> I would be willing (indeed eager) to build the array into a dll or an
> ActiveX component/control, but don't see how to do this either.

> Using an external database is of course an option and the system is
> currently implemented ths way. However, for reasons of both security
> and speed I'd like to use a pre-loaded internal array.

How about a resource file ?

N Varacalli
--
The views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

To reach me via e-mail, try
NICHOLAS_VARACALLI at non-hp-Canada-om1.hp.com

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

Quote:

>I have an application that includes a quite large (35,000 entries)
>read-only array  packed with pre-existing data. For various reasons I
>want the contents of this array to load with the application, not to be
>read in from a file. Basically this is a knowledge-based system and I
>need the knowledgebase included with the system.)

>Using an external database is of course an option and the system is
>currently implemented ths way. However, for reasons of both security
>and speed I'd like to use a pre-loaded internal array.

>Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Please email me directly as
>I do not regularly read this newsgroup.

>Thanks!

>-- Les Gasser

Les,
    Perhaps you could somehow load all of the data into a series of
combo boxes, or the like, at design-time. That will store all relevant
data in that particular forms' ".Frx" file. When you compile your
program, the data contained therein will be stored in the executable
itself. This may be a kludge, but it should work.

        Jeremiah D. Seitz
        Omega Techware

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

: I have an application that includes a quite large (35,000 entries)
: read-only array  packed with pre-existing data. For various reasons I
: want the contents of this array to load with the application, not to be
: read in from a file.

Use the standard BASIC "DATA" and "READ" statements.

Sorry, I'm joking!  (Does anybody else find this humorous, or am I just
in a weird mood?)

If you're willing to use a DLL, what's wrong with using a binary file
and reading in the data?  In both cases, it involves a separate file.
And whether you load the data yourself or have it loaded with your
program, it still gets read from disk and takes time.  And you could
encrypt the data if that's a concern.

I hope this helps, but it probably doesn't.

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

  Use a resource file.

  -OR-

    If the data is in one array, give up on saving the data into the exe
and try
  this. I'm in a similar situation (very large arrays of data) and it works
great
  for me.  (My data is dynamic though, and it wouldn't make sense to store
it in
  the exe)  As far as I've seen, it's the quickest way to load a large VB
array.

  Public Sub SaveArray (sFile as String, abData() as Byte)

    open sFileName blablabla as hFile
    put hFile, , Ubound(abMyData)
    put hFile, , abMyData()

  end sub

  Public Sub LoadArray (sFile as string, abData as Byte)
    dim c as integer

    open sFileName blablabla as hFile
    get hFile, , c
    redim abMyData(c)
    get hFile, , abMyData()

  end sub

Quote:

> I have an application that includes a quite large (35,000 entries)
> read-only array  packed with pre-existing data. For various reasons I
> want the contents of this array to load with the application, not to be
> read in from a file. Basically this is a knowledge-based system and I
> need the knowledgebase included with the system.)

<...>

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

2. Apps, dlls, or ActiveX Components with LARGE amts of internal data

3. VB6 Internal DLL Variable can not be set to external activex control in IE

4. Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?

5. Passing data to an internal form within a DLL

6. the best way to read large amount of data from a MTS component

7. the best way to read large amount of data from a MTS component

8. Data transfer from ASP app to ActiveX app

9. ActiveX DLL calling DLL procedures from ASP app...

10. Automating internal hyperlinking in large documents

11. Is there any problem with using a large number of ActiveX DLLs

12. How to keep ActiveX EXE component alive without client apps