Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?
Author Message
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Ok, I know this is not stricly a VB question, but this newsgroup is
where I hang out, so...

Question:

Why should the help file for my app be in WinHelp format rather than
HTTP?

Bryan Miller

Fri, 02 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Quote:
>Why should the help file for my app be in WinHelp format rather than
>HTTP?

1: It's called HTML - HyperText Markup Language. HTTP is the HyperText
Transfer Protocol.

2: WinHelp was in use long before the masses knew of HTML

3: If you want to make a help file in HTML, no one's stopping you.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Quote:

>Ok, I know this is not stricly a VB question, but this newsgroup is
>where I hang out, so...
>Question:
>Why should the help file for my app be in WinHelp format rather than
>HTTP?

I think you mean HTML, and as for an answer, unless each user has a
viewer (which they should all have for winhelp) than it's useless,
Unless you wrote it yourself and included it then it would be no good.
They are very similar (not in layout, but in functionality) so how
come you want to use it?
Quote:
>Bryan Miller

Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Quote:

>>Ok, I know this is not stricly a VB question, but this newsgroup is
>>where I hang out, so...

>>Question:

>>Why should the help file for my app be in WinHelp format rather than
>>HTTP?

>I think you mean HTML, and as for an answer, unless each user has a
>viewer (which they should all have for winhelp) than it's useless,
>Unless you wrote it yourself and included it then it would be no good.
>They are very similar (not in layout, but in functionality) so how
>come you want to use it?

>>Bryan Miller

More good reasons for not using HTML are that HTML is simply uncompressed
text, so the files would be huge, require a separate file for each page, and
have no way of generating the Table of Contents, Search and Find
capabilities in Windows Help files.

| I went to Fort Lauderdale and never mind what happened.           |
| David Migicovsky, Jewish Atheist Fag Computer Geek, ASGTRP #95    |

| Toronto, Ontario       |  Powered by Windows NT 4.0 and Diet Coke |
\________________________|__________________________________________/

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Quote:

> >>Ok, I know this is not stricly a VB question, but this newsgroup is
> >>where I hang out, so...

> >>Question:

> >>Why should the help file for my app be in WinHelp format rather than
> >>HTTP?

> >I think you mean HTML, and as for an answer, unless each user has a
> >viewer (which they should all have for winhelp) than it's useless,
> >Unless you wrote it yourself and included it then it would be no good.
> >They are very similar (not in layout, but in functionality) so how
> >come you want to use it?

> >>Bryan Miller

> More good reasons for not using HTML are that HTML is simply uncompressed
> text, so the files would be huge, require a separate file for each page, and
> have no way of generating the Table of Contents, Search and Find
> capabilities in Windows Help files.

> /-------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | I went to Fort Lauderdale and never mind what happened.           |
> | David Migicovsky, Jewish Atheist Fag Computer Geek, ASGTRP #95    |

> | Toronto, Ontario       |  Powered by Windows NT 4.0 and Diet Coke |
> \________________________|__________________________________________/

It may also not be desirable to have one's product documentation altered
by users ... customers or otherwise.

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

Quote:

>It may also not be desirable to have one's product documentation altered
>by users ... customers or otherwise.

And you'd have to distribute a browser (and sell a licence?) to your
users.  Everyone's already got winhelp.exe.

-----------------------

Simon Quirk

Fri, 09 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help! Why RTF instead of Plain Text

2. Help:Netware API Help File(in Windows Help file format)

3. Datei Upload per HTTP / File upload via HTTP

4. HTTP: Download large files using HTTP and Internetcontrol

5. http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu http://www.besamung.de.vu

6. SortedList, Why Parenthesis instead of Brackets?

7. why javascript instead of vbscript?

8. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

9. Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox

10. Why a picturebox instead of form

11. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

12. Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?