Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0
Author Message
 Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0

Hi, I never use Visual Basic 4.0 or 5.0.
I wanno know if my applications in Visual Basic 3.0
are compatible with Visual 4 or 5.
I hope yes..........

Thanks

Rosset Stelvio universita` di Padova (Italy)

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0

Quote:

> Hi, I never use Visual Basic 4.0 or 5.0.
> I wanno know if my applications in Visual Basic 3.0
> are compatible with Visual 4 or 5.
> I hope yes..........

With few exceptions yes.  You will need to switch you projects to OCXs.
If you have 3rd party controls you may have no code or a lot to change.
Most syntax changes can be done with search and replace.  It should be
easy to convert.

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0

IMHO, converting to another version of VB has not been a problem. In one case,
though, I wrote a lengthy VB3.0 program in which I used some proprietary VBX's
that did not have 32 bit OCX counterparts. I could not convert it to 32bit
VB4.0 which is why I bought VB4.0 in the first place.

So I had to leave that app in 3.0 and do new stuff in 4.0. Just watch out for
the thrid party controls you use in your APPs. I am now only using
Microsoft-supplied controls.

Greg DiGiorgio

Quote:

>Hi, I never use Visual Basic 4.0 or 5.0.
>I wanno know if my applications in Visual Basic 3.0
>are compatible with Visual 4 or 5.
>I hope yes..........

>Thanks

>Rosset Stelvio universita` di Padova (Italy)

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0

VB4 16-bit will compile your project, but if you use any values from
CONSTANTS.TXT, these will have to be renamed to the new VB constants.

Also, VB4 16bit code run slower than VB3 code.

Finally, if you compile in VB4 16bit, you DO NOT NEED to replace your VBX
controls with equivalent OCX controls.  VB4 16bit will work with either.

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic 5.0 vs. Visual Basic 4.0

2. Visual Basic 4.0 and Visual FoxPro 3.0 databases

3. Visual Basic 3.0 to Visual Basic 6.0

5. Visual Basic 5 vs. Visual Basic 6

6. (VFP 3.0 vs 5.0) vs Delphi and Visual Basic

7. Visual Basic ver5 vs Visual Basic ver6

8. FS: Mastering Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0 and Visual C++ 4.0 CD-ROMs

9. Visual Basic 4.0 usage of DLLs written in Visual C++ 4.0

10. Visual Basic 4.0 usage of DLLs written in Visual C++ 4.0

11. Performance comparison Visual Basic 3.0 vs MS ACCESS 2.0

12. Visual Basic 4.0 16bit, Jet 2.5/3.0/3.5, MS-Access 7.0