Q: Write/read to/from LPTx directly?
Author Message
 Q: Write/read to/from LPTx directly?

We have a (dire) need to get the page count from an HP printer.  The printer
manual clearly defines a PJL job to do this.  Just send the right bytes to the
printer, and it returns the information.

Has anyone ever written directly to a parallel printer port from VB?  How
about *READING* from that port?

We see the API ESCAPE function can be used to send stuff to the printer
unmodified by the driver.

We also see WIN32S functions to read and write from any comm port, and
parallel ports seem to be included.  We're not sure how to call WIN32S
functions from VB.

Examples or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

(Well, yes, if need be we could use C!)

Sun, 17 Aug 1997 00:18:35 GMT

1. Writing/Reading specific pins on COMx and LPTx ports

2. read/write directly disk sectors.

3. Reading/Writing Sector Directly Under Windows 98/ME

4. Reading and Writing *directly* to memory.

5. ?, Read/Write directly to memory (registers on ISA card)

6. Write directly to a text file

7. How do I use VBA to write a new recorset directly to a table

8. Write Picture as ByteArray directly to file and load it from there to display it again

9. write directly to XL97 worksheet via Access

10. Writing directly to linked tables in Access97

11. Can I write data directly to a file?

12. Directly writing to file