Data collection from a scientific instrument
Author Message
 Data collection from a scientific instrument

Dear all,
        I have been programming with Visual Basic 3.0 for a little while,
and I need to write a program that can collect data from an instrument
(for example Spectrophotometer) through the port. I did not find anything
that could indicate me how to start with visual basic.
Is there a specific VBX or dll for this kind of communication ?
Any clue would be very much appreciate !
thanks
Ahmed.B

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data collection from a scientific instrument

Quote:

>and I need to write a program that can collect data from an instrument
>(for example Spectrophotometer) through the port. I did not find anything
>that could indicate me how to start with visual basic.
>Is there a specific VBX or dll for this kind of communication ?

It depends the instrument must support some sort of RS232 comms then
it is possible. However you must determine what protocols are used.
If its Modbus or similar there are VBX's available.  Otherwise you may
have to write your own driver.  This maybe possible with the
MSCOMM.VBX that ships with VB3 if its fast enough .  You will have to
find out what the data means by either the manufactures information or
a protocol analyser.

Wed, 01 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Control Scientific Instruments with Visual Basic

2. RS232 Reading Data from an Instrument

3. Basic Program For Processing Scientific Data

4. Best Database Format for Scientific Data?

5. Data grid and data binding with a collection

6. Collections, Collections and More Collections

7. DOTNET for Test Instrument Control

8. VSGR: Texas Instruments - Taschenrechner mit Basic-programmiersprache

9. Sound Blaster Music and Instruments

10. texas instrument

11. HELP:Parallel VB out RS232 port for instrument control

12. instrument drivers