vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???
Author Message
 vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???

I'm developing a program with VB4 installed on WfW311.  When I run the
program on that machine, it works fine.  When I copy it to another
generic WfW machine, it says "This program requires a later version of
Windows."  Would anyone know how to get this second machine to run my
program?

Dept. of Computer Science       http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mjp6
Cornell University              Have a nice day.

Sat, 30 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???

Quote:

>Subject: vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???
>Date: 12 Dec 1995 19:22:23 GMT
>I'm developing a program with VB4 installed on WfW311.  When I run the
>program on that machine, it works fine.  When I copy it to another
>generic WfW machine, it says "This program requires a later version of
>Windows."  Would anyone know how to get this second machine to run my
>program?

For some reason MS didn't change the name of the vb4 Common Dialog dll. Check
the version and upgrade COMMDLG.DLL.

Chuck Stuart - Mesquite TX USA
VBTrace 2.00 is a runtime Procedure Trace, XRef,
Debug, Profiler and much more. Shareware $49.
http://www.apexsc.com/vb/ftp/coop/cstuart
ftp.apexsc.com/pub/cgvb/coop/cstuart

Sat, 30 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???

Quote:

> >Subject: vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???
> >Date: 12 Dec 1995 19:22:23 GMT

> >I'm developing a program with VB4 installed on WfW311.  When I run the
> >program on that machine, it works fine.  When I copy it to another
> >generic WfW machine, it says "This program requires a later version of
> >Windows."  Would anyone know how to get this second machine to run my
> >program?

> For some reason MS didn't change the name of the vb4 Common Dialog dll. Check
> the version and upgrade COMMDLG.DLL.

Unfortunately youv'e uncovered another VB4 "undocumented feature".  The problem, in
addition to not changing the name of several dll's and vbx's have now converted your
vbx's to ocx's.  AND simply copying these ocx's to the older system won't help you either
unless you understand how to register them in the registry.  The easiest way to fix
this is to use the new setup wizzard and then install the program on the other machine.
This will automatically update the registry and any other dlls/ocxs you need.
Here's where it gets fun.... If you are using any VBX's along with your OCX's in the same
project setup wizard has a cute "undocumented feature" and craps out!  If this is the
case then what I've done is make a bogus project (a blank form with a couple of the new
ocx's on it) run setup wiz on it and while in setup wizard remove the bogus form and
add all of my real project files!

Isn't upgrading fun!  You'd think that MS would spend a little bit of money on de-bugging.
Have you tried minimizing VB4 in Win95?  On at least half of our machines VB4 dissappears
completely (yet remains in memory).  Perhaps VB5 will be better.

                     -Mike

Sun, 31 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 vb4 executable won't run in 3.1???

Quote:

>I'm developing a program with VB4 installed on WfW311.  When I run the
>program on that machine, it works fine.  When I copy it to another
>generic WfW machine, it says "This program requires a later version of
>Windows."  Would anyone know how to get this second machine to run my
>program?

I had same problem, a dll was not updated on the target machine.  I
ran the setup wizard again, reinstalled using the generated setup
disks, and it ran fine.

Regards,
Andrei

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Creating 16 bit vb4.0 app under '95 will not run under win 3.1

2. Compile in Win95=>can't run in Win 3.1

3. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

4. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

5. Executable program for Win 3.1

6. Advice on TCP/IP for 16 bit VB4: Win 3.1 and Win 95 Development

7. Why a compiled executable won't run on client's machine

8. Registering DLL's and OCX's in Win 3.1

9. Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs

10. VB3.0 executable - won't run even w/VBRUN300.DLL

11. Why won't VB4.0a EXEcutables execute?

12. Executable won't run