Compensating for different screen resolutions
Author Message
 Compensating for different screen resolutions

WHen making programs i have received email from users that the programs
either don't fit on their screen right, or they look funny, etc etc.  I use
800x600x65k resolution and sometimes forget that people use 640x480, or
1024x768 etc.

I found an article in the microsoft knowledge base that returns the
available screen space, taking into consideration the taskbar.

I thought one way to make the program look the same regardless of screen
resolution would be to factor every single item on screen (font sizes, text
box sizes, form sizes, etc) so that they would take up the same screen
space regardless of screen resolution.

This seems to be a lot of unecessary work, and was wondering if ther was an
easier way to accomplish this, and still keep the visual integrity of the
project intact.

Please email with any responses, and once again, thanks in advance
--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
Brian C. Copeland

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compensating for different screen resolutions

Quote:

> WHen making programs i have received email from users that the programs
> either don't fit on their screen right, or they look funny, etc etc.  I use
> 800x600x65k resolution and sometimes forget that people use 640x480, or
> 1024x768 etc.

> I found an article in the microsoft knowledge base that returns the
> available screen space, taking into consideration the taskbar.

> I thought one way to make the program look the same regardless of screen
> resolution would be to factor every single item on screen (font sizes, text
> box sizes, form sizes, etc) so that they would take up the same screen
> space regardless of screen resolution.

> This seems to be a lot of unecessary work, and was wondering if ther was an
> easier way to accomplish this, and still keep the visual integrity of the
> project intact.

> Please email with any responses, and once again, thanks in advance
> --
> Give me ambiguity or give me something else
> Brian C. Copeland

> http://www.wchat.on.ca/copeland/brian.htm

Greetings Brian,

There are many OCX's that will keep the form and control proportional
regardless of resolution. I use an OCX called Splitter. It comes
bundeled with MicroHelp's OleTools. You can dowload a demo at
http:\\www.microhelp.com. There is another product from Videosoft called
VS-OCX. There are 3 controls that are pretty handy. They can be found at
http:\\www.videosoft.com.

HTH,
Kevin Lingofelter
MediBase Development Company

Thu, 08 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Compensating for different screen resolutions

Quote:
>WHen making programs i have received email from users that the programs
>either don't fit on their screen right, or they look funny, etc etc.  I use
>800x600x65k resolution and sometimes forget that people use 640x480, or
>1024x768 etc.

You can also use percentages.  Just determine in advance what a
'standard' percentage is (ie; this list box will take up 40%
vertically and 10% horizontally) and then have a sizing routine in the
screen_resize event.

Make sure that initially your form will fit (and center it) on a
640x480 screen, and then if the user resizes or maximises it or
whatever, your routine resizes based on the percentages.

Travis

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compensating for Different Screen Resolutions

2. Rezing Forms for Different Screen Resolutions

3. Dynamic GUI: Programming with VBA for different screen sizes and resolutions

4. Any technique to display window form in different screen resolution

5. dealing with different screen resolutions

6. Adapting To Different Screen Resolutions?

7. Handiling Different Screen Resolution

8. Forms in different screen resolutions

9. Adjusting VB for different screen resolutions

10. Different screen resolutions

11. Handiling Different Screen Resolution

12. Help! Compensate for video resolution