VB binary file access vs. DLL???
Author Message
 VB binary file access vs. DLL???

I am writing an app that makes extensive use of binary file access. My
question is this... should I stick with the internal binary access in
VB or go with a DLL (16 bit).

As long as you are pondering that here's a similar.  This same app
does extensive parsing of large strings repetitively.  Would using a
DLL be faster here as well?  It must be because some of the functions
I had to write to parse these strings are slow.

Anyone know of good commercial or shareware/freeware VB 16 bit
compatible DLL's for file access and one for string manipulation?

Thanks in advance

Jeff Hilb

Thu, 18 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB binary file access vs. DLL???

Quote:

>I am writing an app that makes extensive use of binary file access. My
>question is this... should I stick with the internal binary access in
>VB or go with a DLL (16 bit).

>As long as you are pondering that here's a similar.  This same app
>does extensive parsing of large strings repetitively.  Would using a
>DLL be faster here as well?  It must be because some of the functions
>I had to write to parse these strings are slow.

>Anyone know of good commercial or shareware/freeware VB 16 bit
>compatible DLL's for file access and one for string manipulation?

Try PB/DLL from powerbasic (www.powerbasic.com) to convert your BASIC
string code into a native code 16/32 bit DLL.  Should be much faster -
probably worth the $150.

Visit my source code page at http://www.mindspring.com/~johnecarter
Visit my favorite school at http://www.mindspring.com/~addison

Get PR-Tracker -- tracks problem reports, defects, bugs
INFORMATION:  http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
DOWNLOAD:     http://www.prtracker.com/download.html

Thu, 18 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB binary file access vs. DLL???

Hello Jeff,

Quote:
>I am writing an app that makes extensive use of binary file access. My
>question is this... should I stick with the internal binary access in
>VB or go with a DLL (16 bit).

        Might as well stick with VB.  You _may_ be able to read a file faster
using a DLL, but your code will still have to process it (and that is
likely the bottle-neck in your code).

Quote:
>As long as you are pondering that here's a similar.  This same app
>does extensive parsing of large strings repetitively.  Would using a
>DLL be faster here as well?  It must be because some of the functions
>I had to write to parse these strings are slow.
>Anyone know of good commercial or shareware/freeware VB 16 bit
>compatible DLL's for file access and one for string manipulation?

        Software Source as a product called FieldPak.  Its a tiny DLL with a
variety of string handling routines.  Their URL is
http://www.ntr.net/~software_src/index.html, you can e-mail them at

        If you're using VB5 and decide to get FieldPak lemme know and I'll
send you a class that makes string parsing a little easier.

Later,
---
Len Weaver
MeritSoft Corporation

Sat, 20 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Binary vs Random file access

2. Binary vs Random file access

3. Binary vs Random file access

4. VB -- Long File Name , Fast Binary File Read / Write , interface with DLL

5. detecting a binary file vs text file

6. Accessing a binary file from VB...

7. Binary file access in VB Script...HTTPResponse methods.....

8. WinNT vs. Win98 differences opening binary files

9. text vs. binary files

10. Registry Vs. Binary File

11. Question about reading files binary vs random.

12. WinNT vs. Win98 differences opening binary files