Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?
Author Message
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys and
other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?

Thank you in advance.

Alf Inge Lindtner

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~alfi/

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Quote:

> I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys and
> other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?

> Thank you in advance.

> Alf Inge Lindtner

> http://aksess-www.sn.no/~alfi/

Microsoft has books about that.
--

---- (-:   ))-:  ((:-o   o-:))  :-((   :-) ----
Marco Heerebout

HOMEPAGE: http://www.trendsoft.nl/users/m.heerebout

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Quote:
> I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys
and
> other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?

I would simply check MS Word or Excel, or even VB.  Microsoft seems to use
the same set of function keys and hot keys throughout all thier apps, and
they are intuitive too...

-Corey

Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Who would have guessed that on 28 Jul 1996 at 01:08:18 GMT

~ I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys and
~ other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?

In the Visual C++ 4 online help under:

    SDKs
        Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design
            Appendix B  Keyboard Interface Summary

(I'm not posting it here because as plain text it looks like crap, and
I'm not about to spend time re-lining up the columns. Email me if you
want it that way anyways.)

Being as it's organized in the online help as chapters and appendices
and a bibliography, I'll bet there's a hard-copy version from Microsoft
Press as well.

        Den

--

  How come when the Clintons proposed     but when Congressional
  limiting the growth of Medicare         Republicans propose this

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Quote:

>> I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys
>and
>> other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?

>I would simply check MS Word or Excel, or even VB.  Microsoft seems to use
>the same set of function keys and hot keys throughout all thier apps, and
>they are intuitive too...

Huh?

F5 is the "Win95" way to refresh the screen (MSIE, Desktop, etc. all use it).
Word 7.0 and Excel 7.0 take you to the 'Go To' dialog.

F3 is the "normal" way to do a find next in most software I use (even
Notepad), In Word it's 'Insert Auto Text', and in Excel it's 'Paste a
formula'.

I'm just thankful for Ctrl-X, C & V!

-- Alex DeBurie
   The Art Machine                  Phone: (810) 264-2110

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Quote:

>>> I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys
>>and
>>> other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?
>>I would simply check MS Word or Excel, or even VB.  Microsoft seems to use
>>the same set of function keys and hot keys throughout all thier apps, and
>>they are intuitive too...
>Although the above is not a bad suggestion, getting a copy of "The
>Windows 95 User-Interface Design Guide" (Microsoft Press) might be
>a better suggestion.
>Also, from earlier days, Windows has been based on the CUA (Common

                                                             ^^^^^^

Quote:
>User Interface) specification (cooked up by Microsoft and IBM when
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>they were working on OS/2's Presentation Manager together).  Much in
>Windows still reflects CUA ideas.

Oops.  CUA stands for Common User Access, not Common User Interface.

Also, Microsoft Press publishes/ed another book called "The Windows
Interface: An Application Design Guide".  It contains detailed
information on how you should assign shortcut keys (keyboard
accelerators).

Regards,
Matt Arnold                       |        | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||

Boston, MA                        |      0 | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||
617.389.7384 (h) 617.576.2760 (w) |        | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||
C++, MIDI, Win32/95 developer     |        | ||| 4 3 1   0 8 3 || ||

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standard for function-keys and hot-keys?

Quote:

>> I would like to know if there is a written standard for function-keys
>and
>> other hot-keys used in windows. If there is, where can i find it?
>I would simply check MS Word or Excel, or even VB.  Microsoft seems to use
>the same set of function keys and hot keys throughout all thier apps, and
>they are intuitive too...

Although the above is not a bad suggestion, getting a copy of "The
Windows 95 User-Interface Design Guide" (Microsoft Press) might be
a better suggestion.

Also, from earlier days, Windows has been based on the CUA (Common
User Interface) specification (cooked up by Microsoft and IBM when
they were working on OS/2's Presentation Manager together).  Much in
Windows still reflects CUA ideas.

Regards,
Matt Arnold                       |        | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||

Boston, MA                        |      0 | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||
617.389.7384 (h) 617.576.2760 (w) |        | ||| | |||| |  | | || ||
C++, MIDI, Win32/95 developer     |        | ||| 4 3 1   0 8 3 || ||

Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Assigning arrow keys as hot keys

2. Sending key command to a global hot key

3. Hot key to go to highlighted function

4. How to do something triggered by pressing a function key (or any other key)

5. Help with sending function keys and cursor keys to DOS app

6. How change function key TAB on key ENTER in VB form

7. WebBrowser control shortcut keys & function keys

8. WebBrowser control shortcut keys & function keys

9. Calling a VBA project (macro) using a hot key

10. Are hot keys changeable during runtime?

11. Hot-Key to Comment out Code

12. Macro Hot Key