VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)
Author Message
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

Quote:
>Question: Should I get the 16 bit version or 32 bit version of VB 4.0?
>A little background:
>- We have no existing VB code to upgrade/migrate.
>- We are just getting ready to start doing some VB applications.
>- Most of our PCs are running Windows 3.0 or Windows for Workgroups 3.11
>- We mainly 386s and 486s with a growing number of Pentium (ok, I'll admit
>it, we even have a few 286s :(
>- We have a few PCs with Windows 95 but that number will grow.

1. There is no 16 bit only version.
2. Only 16 bit applications will run on Windows 3.x.

You must use either the Pro or Enterprise editions. From the description of
your needs, get the Pro edition.

Chuck Stuart - Mesquite TX USA
VBTrace 2.00 is a runtime Procedure Trace, XRef,
Debug, Profiler and much more. Shareware $49.
http://www.*-*-*.com/
ftp.apexsc.com/pub/cgvb/coop/cstuart

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

Quote:

> The answer to my question may be very obvious to most of you
> but I rank
> myself below beginner, so it's not to me :)

> Question: Should I get the 16 bit version or 32 bit version of
> VB 4.0?

You won't be able to get the 16 bit version unless you get the
Pro version.  After having done that you will have both.

--

Arlington, Texas USA

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)
To my knowledge (I haven't got VB4 yet, so I am using "newspaper" information...)
VB4 Professional edition comes with both VB4/16 bits and VB4/32 bits, so you
needn't choose...
Again, to my knowledge, VB4 Standard edition comes only with the 32-bit environment
so it looks like you won't be able to use much of it soon ;-)
Anyway, check beforehand with your dealer for details.

Bye!!!

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)
The answer to my question may be very obvious to most of you but I rank
myself below beginner, so it's not to me :)

Question: Should I get the 16 bit version or 32 bit version of VB 4.0?

A little background:

- We have no existing VB code to upgrade/migrate.
- We are just getting ready to start doing some VB applications.
- Most of our PCs are running Windows 3.0 or Windows for Workgroups 3.11
- We mainly 386s and 486s with a growing number of Pentium (ok, I'll admit
it, we even have a few 286s :(
- We have a few PCs with Windows 95 but that number will grow.

Dennis H. Woolman                 Phone: (402)280-2575
Administrative Computing          Fax  : (402)280-2573

2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178-0046
USA

Fri, 10 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

:
: Dennis H. Woolman                 Phone: (402)280-2575
: Administrative Computing          Fax  : (402)280-2573

: 2500 California Plaza
: Omaha, NE 68178-0046
: USA

I think this is marketing - If I remember correctly, the standard
version is 32 only and the pro is 16/32. I vote for the Pro version
You get more stuff (OCX's), You need to develop apps for the
machines you use today, You want to use the same code in the 16/32
bit versions of the stuff you will make. The nature of OCXs (ie
16/32 bit guid is same) allows you to have one project file
and build 16 or 32 bit apps from it. If you have DLL calls you
can use "preprocessor directives" to include/exclude OS
specific code.

Although you can use VBXs in your 16 bit apps, I wouldn't
buy any. Most companies have a good migration path from
VBX to OCX versions of their controls but a lot of times
you will be missing out on enhancements found only in the
OCX. If an essential part doesn't have a good migration
scheme, you will have to recode some time in the future.

Hope this helps,

steve

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

Quote:
>>A little background:
>>- We have no existing VB code to upgrade/migrate.
>>- We are just getting ready to start doing some VB applications.
>>- Most of our PCs are running Windows 3.0 or Windows for Workgroups 3.11
>>- We mainly 386s and 486s with a growing number of Pentium (ok, I'll admit
>>it, we even have a few 286s :(
>>- We have a few PCs with Windows 95 but that number will grow.
>1. There is no 16 bit only version.
>2. Only 16 bit applications will run on Windows 3.x.
>You must use either the Pro or Enterprise editions. From the description of
>your needs, get the Pro edition.

To clarify, Chuck is saying you get both 16bit and 32bit VB4.0 when you buy
VB4.  If you have followed the posts, you will see several people are unhappy
with the performance of VB4.0 16bit verses VB3.0 16bit.  You may consider
simply using VB3.0 (which is only 16bit) until your needs change and require
32bit applications.  I believe your choice is mainly between using VB3.0 Pro
or VB4.0 Pro (16bit)... not between 16bit and 32bit (given your large install
base of Windows 3.1x machines).  Follow this group for alittle while and you
should see plenty of input on this topic!

Sat, 11 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 4.0: 16 bit vs 32 bit

2. VB 4.0 (16-Bit)/Crystal Reports 3.0.1.32 (16-Bit) Print Preview Maximize Window

3. 16 bit API calls in VB 3 supported in 32 bit VB 4.0

4. VB 4.0 16 bit or 32 bit Escape Key

5. VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

6. VB 4.0 conversion from 32 bit to 16 bit

7. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

8. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

9. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

10. Shell and Wait 16 bit apps from 32 bit VB 4.0

11. CARDS.DLL 16 Bit doesn't work on VB 4.0 32 Bit

12. Converting 16 bit to 32 bit VB 4.0 Pro