Miscellaneous questions
Author Message
 Miscellaneous questions

Anyone help with these questions?
1) My application needs font 'Wingdings' because I want to use bullet
points with Crystal Reports. But what if the user doesn't have
'Wingdings' installed? I could include it in the set-up program - but
can one do this? What about copyright? Who 'owns' fonts? And how does
one install a font? is it sufficient just to put it into the 'Fonts'
folder in Windows?
2) I started this app before I new about system resources, or lack of
them, and some of the forms were very big (~ 300kb). I've fiddled with
then to reduce their size, (with help from this newsgroup - thanks). One
way I use is to hive off some of the code, such as form_load setting
control positions etc to other forms, which are never visible and which
are unloaded once they have done their job. This seems to work OK, but
it seems a crude solution. Where should one keep code which is needed
only now and again so it doesn't clog up the system?
3) What can be stored in an access database? Can I store a whole section
from a Word document (table, text, formatting) ?

Wed, 12 May 2004 04:39:42 GMT
 Miscellaneous questions
"Peter John Lawton" wrote

Quote:
> 1) My application needs font 'Wingdings' because I want to use bullet
> points with crystal reports.

I'm sure there are some that don't, but in quite a number of years of
working on other people's computers as well as several of my own, I don't
recall any of them that didn't have Wingdings installed.

Because you can't trust that someone hasn't deleted even fonts that come
with Windows, the only _really_ safe approach is to find yourself a font
that you license to distribute, or one that is in the public domain, or one
that has specifically been made available on public license, and distribute
that with your application.

Now, having said that, I am never _really_ safe in that respect, because I
never have distributed a font. I just rely on Arial, Times Roman, MS Sans
Serif, MS Serif (and Wingdings is probably close behind those in
probability) _being_ there, or if not, that the font substitution will be
satisfactory.

 > 2) I started this app before I new about system resources, or lack of
 > them, and some of the forms were very big (~ 300kb). I've fiddled with
 > then to reduce their size,

A local DLL, dynamic load library, would be a good place, but,
unfortunately, you can't create one with VB. You can create a COM component,
an in-process component, that is a .DLL, but you pay some additional COM
overhead in accessing your code. In your VB program, a standard module (one
not associatied with a particular form) is probably as good as any. On the
other hand, a couple of releases back, Microsoft hyped the new ability they
had put in Access for "lightweight" forms, without any code module, that
would load quicker. One of the editors of "Access/VB/SQL Advisor" ran some
tests with lightweight forms vs the same form loaded up with all the code
you could stuff in a Form's class module. Surely enough, the lightweight
form was faster loading, by from 10 - 15 milliseconds, so that a user
watching the monitor could tell no difference, and not enough difference for
anyone to bother.

 > 3) What can be stored in an access database? Can I store a whole section
 > from a Word document (table, text, formatting) ?

You can store anything you want, not greater than 2GB, in an OLE field in an
Access database, using it as a Binary Large Object (BLOB), using the
AppendChunk method to store the pieces there and the GetChunk method to
retrieve them (see Knowledge Base article Q103257). The problem would be, of
course, that you would have to determine just what part of the document
constituted a "section", so that you could extract just that part. It's easy
enough to store the whole thing. It's easy enough to store some binary data
that you have separate, but Word keeps documents as a single file.

The Rich Text Box control that comes with VB Pro and Enterprise will display
and allow you to store Rich Text Format with colors and formatting. Word can
input RTF, but RTF does not have all the capability of a Word document
(e.g., some graphics, lines, rectangles, etc. may be lost in the translation
from Word to RTF). But, if you _create_ the information in the Rich Text
Box, that won't be a problem.

Wed, 12 May 2004 08:40:50 GMT
 Miscellaneous questions

Quote:

> "Peter John Lawton" wrote
>  > 2) I started this app before I new about system resources, or lack of
>  > them, and some of the forms were very big (~ 300kb). I've fiddled with
>  > then to reduce their size,

> .... In your VB program, a standard module (one
> not associatied with a particular form) is probably as good as any.

>  Thanks for the reply - re above, wouldn't a satandard module be loaded all
> the time -what I want is to ensure that rarelt used code akes up the minimum
> resource space.

Pete

Thu, 13 May 2004 16:13:36 GMT

1. Miscellaneous Questions

2. Need Feedback: Miscellaneous Files Feature

3. HELP : Constructing SQL statements and miscellaneous

4. organizer macro for miscellaneous notes

5. Miscellaneous

6. Miscellaneous Algorithms

7. Application Miscellaneous and Et Cetera

8. questions,questions,questions.

9. Atten: Larry Serflaten - Re: Dictionary Questions, Questions, Questions

10. Questions!Questions!Questions

11. Questions Questions Questions

12. HELP QUESTION HELP QUESTION HELP QUESTION