Help getting external IP with winsock control 
Author Message
 Help getting external IP with winsock control

Hello everyone,

I need help figuring out how to find my external IP address using the
Winsock control.  When I use the localIP property I get my network IP
address.  I want the IP that my ISP assigns me at my router.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks



Mon, 30 May 2005 02:31:22 GMT  
 Help getting external IP with winsock control
The winsock control cant know about the IPs of the router.

Only the router and the server you comunicate with, know the IP.



Quote:
> Hello everyone,

> I need help figuring out how to find my external IP address using the
> Winsock control.  When I use the localIP property I get my network IP
> address.  I want the IP that my ISP assigns me at my router.  Any help
would
> be greatly appreciated.  Thanks



Mon, 30 May 2005 16:04:04 GMT  
 Help getting external IP with winsock control
Are there any other solutions to receiving the external IP Addy?? I
mean how does MSN Messanger and AOL IM do their dynamic IP logging?
<very curious> Someone help us pleeeeaaaaaaase! ha ha


Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:40:28 GMT  
 Help getting external IP with winsock control

Quote:

>Are there any other solutions to receiving the external IP Addy?? I
>mean how does MSN Messanger and AOL IM do their dynamic IP logging?
><very curious> Someone help us pleeeeaaaaaaase! ha ha

Think about what you just wrote - both of these applications talk to other
computers and the other computer will know your IP address.

VB3 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vbsource.html
VB6 source code: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/vb6source.html
VB6 - MySQL how to: http://thelabwiz.home.mindspring.com/mysql.html
Fix the obvious to reply by email.



Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:32:04 GMT  
 Help getting external IP with winsock control
What I am involved in is developing a small chat program and I thought
about making each client aware of the others IP (stored in the server
db upon logging in) when chatting. In essence making them
server+client but after what I have read about this issue I am now
preparing the project to send the messages thru the server via
winsock/sockets making them strictly chat clients. Is it better to go
with the MS Windows winsock control or go the Winsock API route?


Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:08:03 GMT  
 Help getting external IP with winsock control
On the issue of IP's it might not be a good idea to store them anywhere because, like myself, many people have dynamic IP address which are assigned
when logging on to the ISP and are different each tiime.. I don't know how many IP's Verizon has but I would guess a fair size chunk...

The winsock control is just a wrapper for the API routines... I used the API's before because at that time there were some bugs in the control...
I haven't used it now for several years and the last time I did communications I used SocketWrench..
If you'd like to use the API's I'm sure you can find dozens of Modules already set up ready to used...


Quote:
>What I am involved in is developing a small chat program and I thought
>about making each client aware of the others IP (stored in the server
>db upon logging in) when chatting. In essence making them
>server+client but after what I have read about this issue I am now
>preparing the project to send the messages thru the server via
>winsock/sockets making them strictly chat clients. Is it better to go
>with the MS Windows winsock control or go the Winsock API route?

Have a good day...

Don



Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:25:30 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. getting IP without winsock

2. Getting IP Address from Winsock

3. Help,,,Getting Dir list with VB5 winsock control

4. getting real IP instead of Proxy ip

5. WINSOCK control (tcp/ip)

6. The Winsock control and tcp/ip

7. WINSOCK control (tcp/ip)

8. IP address for Winsock control

9. Question about winsock control and dynamic IP

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software