Using serial port without using MSCOMM
Author Message
 Using serial port without using MSCOMM

Is there anybody out there who has got any experience with programming
serial ports using APIs. (CreateFile, setcommstate, etc)
I think MSCOMM.OCX is a bit of a overhead for simple data-transmission. If
it is not, please let me know too!

Thanx!
Jacco.

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
remove REPLYTO from my e-mail address to reply.

Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using serial port without using MSCOMM
Is there anybody out there who has got any experience with programming
serial ports using APIs. (CreateFile, setcommstate, etc)
I think MSCOMM.OCX is a bit of a overhead for simple data-transmission. If
it is not, please let me know too!

Thanx!
Jacco.

--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
remove REPLYTO from my e-mail address to reply.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using serial port without using MSCOMM
Your best bet is the MSCOMM.OCX. I have written apps in VB that open
the COM port directly and it is not the easiest code to write. MSCOMM
makes the job much easier and the latest revision of it is completely
stable.
I would recommend getting a good book on it like the Visual Basic
Programmers Guide to Serial Communications by Richard Grier. You can
find it at www.amazon.com

If you are interested, the company that I work for sells a serial
communications program called the Software Wedge that you may find to
be a good tool for adding serial communications capabilities to your
application. The Software Wedge is an executable program that can pass
serial data back and forth to other programs using either DDE (Dynamic
Data Exchange) or by converting incoming serial data to keystrokes
(i.e. it stuffs the keyboard buffer with the incoming serial data).
The program is extremely easy to use and is designed to have you up
and running sending and receiving serial data directly from within
your application in just a few minutes.
Please visit http://www.taltech.com for more information.

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 19:22:50 +0100, "Jacco Groen in 't Wout"

Quote:

>Is there anybody out there who has got any experience with programming
>serial ports using APIs. (CreateFile, setcommstate, etc)
>I think MSCOMM.OCX is a bit of a overhead for simple data-transmission. If
>it is not, please let me know too!

>Thanx!
>Jacco.

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems with opening the serial port using MsComm

2. Problems with using the control MSComm for serial port communication

3. VB3 Serial Port Control without MSCOMM.VBX

4. Serial communication using MSCOMM

5. using MSComm for serial I/O

6. Serial Comm using MSComm

7. Using Modem without MSComm but API

8. Need to send a string to the serial COM3: port using VBA

9. How do I read my serial port using Access VBA

10. read data from serial port using vba for Access

11. Read COM (serial) port using CreateFile?

12. using the serial port (COM) in a VB Script