Help! with WinHelp
Author Message
 Help! with WinHelp

I feel bad because I have ignored an on-going discussion of the Help compiler
on this discussion and its ancestor.  But the description of the system in the
Professional Edition manuals seems needlessly complex.  Will some generous
soul who sympathizes with my programming lameness give me some pointers.  I
just want to write the simplest of Help topic files, just one file with some
pop-up menus.  Josh

Joshua Micah Marshall
Brown University

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 18:40:43 GMT
 Help! with WinHelp

: I feel bad because I ignored an on-going discussion of the Help compiler
: this discussion and its ancestor.  But the description of the system in the
: Professional Edition manuals seems needlessly complex.  Will some generous
: soul who sympathizes with my programming lameness give me some pointers.  I
: just want to write the simplest Help topic files, just one file with some
: pop-up menus.

 It is indeed not simple, if all you have is a wordprocessor and VB3Pro.
I recently acquired Visual Help for $49 (there is even a shareware version
with a limit on the number of topics you can create) and it solved my problem:
you don't need a wordprocessor, and you construct Help in a way similar as
the way you make an app. in VB: by dragging stuff like titles, paragraphs,
jump-links, ... onto the Help project.

 I don't know where to find it on the Internet; you can grab a copy at
the Fidonet BBS 1:163/506 under the name VH.ZIP if you have access to
a modem and some cash to throw at Ma Bell.  The number is (819) 772-9277.
If I remember correctly, the only limit in the shareware version is 3
top-level topics (I don't think there are limits on the number of
subordinate topics).

Wed, 09 Jul 1997 09:02:04 GMT
 Help! with WinHelp

: I feel bad because I have ignored an on-going discussion of the Help compiler
: on this discussion and its ancestor.  But the description of the system in the
: Professional Edition manuals seems needlessly complex.  Will some generous
: soul who sympathizes with my programming lameness give me some pointers.  I
: just want to write the simplest of Help topic files, just one file with some
: pop-up menus.  Josh

Hi, Josh,

Use ftp to download our company's free help authoring tool, "VB HelpWriter".
The free version is the "Lite" edition, which will create helpfiles up to
30 topics(pages) long.  There's no need to buy anything, ever.

You can get the file from:
  ftp.cica.indiana.edu win3/programr/vbasic/vbhw193.zip, or

  ftp.netcom.com pub/vb/vb_helpwriter/vbhw193.zip

Good luck!

-Fred Bunn
 President, Teletech Systems

Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:39:02 GMT

1. Context sensitive help in WinHelp -Help

2. Help with Office 2000, RTF and WinHelp

3. PLEASE HELP!!!! WinHelp Problem in VB6 Application

4. Help Workshop, Winhelp, VB5, W95 question

5. Show Help Contents with WinHelp API?

6. Need Help on WinHelp API and showhelp

7. Help on Winhelp search dialog please

8. HELP : Visual Basic DDE and WinHelp ExecProgram

9. Accessing Help file using WINHELP API

10. Help with WinHelp!

11. Help with WinHelp API

12. Need help with WinHelp