Beginner seeking book advice
Author Message
 Beginner seeking book advice

What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
 I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
definitive.
Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
intermediate, etc ?

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
Try "Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" by Francesco Balena. It covers
beginner through advanced topics. Very little "crud" in comparison with most
other books, and the whole thing comes on CD as well. I personally keep the
CD in my drive more-or-less permanently for reference. I find it useful.

AHP

Quote:
> What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
>  I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
> definitive.
> Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
> intermediate, etc ?

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
I recommend this book is written by Colleges and University...it is
contained test, exams, cd and many examples to understanding.  this
book
including  from ground to games to winsock, avi, etc. Never buy any
books.

                                        VISUAL BASIC 6
                                          How To Program
                                                      by
                                         DEITEL & DEITEL
                                            T.R.NIETO
                                        ISBN: 0-13-456955-5
                                        http://www.deitel.com

Quote:

> What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
>  I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
> definitive.
> Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
> intermediate, etc ?

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
Quote:
> Try "Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" by Francesco Balena.

I would second that. A book for beginner or ace.

Then after you have worked through that
get a good api book such as Appleman or Roman (or both).  Then pick off the
McKinney
classic from the MSDN CD and DL the source code .
So:
Balena : "Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0"
Appleman : 'Visual Basic Programmer's guide to the Win32API
Roman : Win32 API Programming in Visual Basic.
McKinney: {*filter*} Visual Basic.
You'll need to search the web for the McHC DL..  (Search on {*filter*} and
then slash your way
 through all the {*filter*} hits) I have posted it several times, so you could
probably thing it by doing
{*filter*} and Neila on deja.com.  Just  now I am on a new box and haven't
shifted all my favs over yet.
Just been too lazy to reboot the server and go back into Win9x on the old
beast .. ;-)  And
MUCH TOO LAZY to type that damned URL (you'll grin when you see it ;-).

Neila

Quote:
> Try "Programming Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0" by Francesco Balena. It
covers
> beginner through advanced topics. Very little "crud" in comparison with
most
> other books, and the whole thing comes on CD as well. I personally keep
the
> CD in my drive more-or-less permanently for reference. I find it useful.

> AHP

> > What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
> >  I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
> > definitive.
> > Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
> > intermediate, etc ?

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
Searching "{*filter*}" has to be a bit dangerous :)

Quote:
> You'll need to search the web for the McHC DL..  (Search on {*filter*} and
> then slash your way
>  through all the {*filter*} hits) I have posted it several times, so you could
> probably thing it by doing
> {*filter*} and Neila on deja.com.  Just  now I am on a new box and haven't
> shifted all my favs over yet.

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice

[...]

Quote:
> McKinney: {*filter*} Visual Basic.
> You'll need to search the web for the McHC DL..  (Search on {*filter*} and
> then slash your way through all the {*filter*} hits)

Just had to try it - a mere 123,534 hits on AltaVista (and don't have your
maiden aunt watching over your shoulder as the search results come up!) :o

--
RobSmith

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
I've found that you can get bits of ideas from alot of books but I mainly
use only two for reference:

 VB & VBA in a Nutshell by Paul Lomax (O'Reilly)
      [has complete VB language ref. presented clearly]

Visual Basic Controls in a Nutshell by Evan S. Dictor (O'Reilly)
     [reference for use of controls; oddly, though, it doesn't cover all of
the controls in the Prof. edition.]

Visual Basic 6 Complete (sybex)
 [an inexpensive compilation of sections from other books with alot of
examples.]
   I personally found the Deitel & Deitel book all but useless and regret
buying it.

Quote:

>What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
> I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
>definitive.
>Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
>intermediate, etc ?

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
Well, For a good time Check here ;-)
http://www.*-*-*.com/
um=21
Neila

Quote:

> [...]
> > McKinney: {*filter*} Visual Basic.
> > You'll need to search the web for the McHC DL..  (Search on {*filter*} and
> > then slash your way through all the {*filter*} hits)

> Just had to try it - a mere 123,534 hits on AltaVista (and don't have your
> maiden aunt watching over your shoulder as the search results come up!) :o

> --
> RobSmith

Mon, 08 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner seeking book advice
I really got a lot of the How to Program: Visual Basic 6.0 by dietel and
dietel

This is not a really technical book as far as {*filter*}. But it gives a great
baseline.

Book should be about 50$, on bn.com

Quote:
> What book/books are recommended for learning VB6 ??
>  I've checked tons of web sites...read some reviews, nothing seems very
> definitive.
> Also, if possible , what would be a good sequence of books---beginner,
> intermediate, etc ?

Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Modular programming" advice sought

2. General Design Question- Advice sought.

3. Seeking advice about looping code in VB.

4. Seeking Advice on Outlook Development

5. Seeking advice

6. Seeks Advice on VBA Literature.

7. Seeking advice on threading issues

8. Seeking advice on searching a string backwards

9. Creating an ADO VB6 stand-alone database program (Newbie seeks advice)

10. Seeking advice on best approach

11. App Data: Seeking Advice

12. Seeking advice on DB access methods