Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro
Author Message
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

As a newcomer to the client-server development arena, I am beginning the
process of evaluating possible development environments.  What are the
differences between say Visual Foxpro and Visual Basic?  Is Visual Basic
more of a cross platform development tool?  What are the strengths and
weaknesses of each?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

Quote:

> As a newcomer to the client-server development arena, I am beginning the
> process of evaluating possible development environments.  What are the
> differences between say Visual Foxpro and Visual Basic?  Is Visual Basic
> more of a cross platform development tool?  What are the strengths and
> weaknesses of each?

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

FOXPRO WAS copied by third parties, and became a portable platform.  VFP is
probably not Platform independant AT ALL!

VB is ****NOT**** nor has it ever been platform independant.  One company is
trying to make a portable version of the runtime though.

VB is the best and most supported for windows.  Looking for platform
independance?  Don't look to microsoft!!!!!!!

Steve

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

: As a newcomer to the client-server development arena, I am beginning the
: process of evaluating possible development environments.  What are the
: differences between say Visual Foxpro and Visual Basic?  Is Visual Basic
: more of a cross platform development tool?  What are the strengths and
: weaknesses of each?

Neither product is cross-platform; both require 32-bit Windows (95, 98
or NT).

Of the two I strongly prefer VFP for database work, though either will
work fine as long as you recognize their limitations as well as their
strengths.

VFP is optimized for data-centric work, has a very fast engine built
in, is a much higher-level language, is object oriented (not just
object based - supports inheritance for example), requires far less
work to do most data-centric things, and, overall, kicks the pants out
of anything else Microsoft has to offer for rapid database
development.

The disadvantages of VFP: its future is uncertain; it's not optimized
for non-data-centric programming; offers somewhat less control over
the user interface; its ActiveX support is weaker than VB's; and
development tends to cost more due to the relatively smaller number of
experienced VFP developers.

If you really need a cross-platform environment, neither tool is going
to work, except possibly for design and prototyping (in which case I'd
go with VFP).  For instance, a Pure Java based front end and Oracle or
MS SQL Server on the back end.

But if your users are all running 32 bit Windows, you have the luxury
of two reasonably good tools with which to build your front end, and
both will work well with any NT-based server.  For smaller apps, if
you use VFP you may not even need a server, as its engine is very fast
and can easily handle tables of hundreds of thousands or millions of
records on a sufficiently fast network, returning indexed query
results almost instantaneously.

Joe

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

Quote:
> VB is not a cross-platform development tool.  It (and Visual FoxPro) is a
> Windows-only development tool.

Oops.  Brain slip.  There is a Visual FoxPro for the Macintosh.  So I guess
it technically isn't a cross-platform development tool, since you can't
compile Mac apps with the Windows version :).

Robert

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

VB is not a cross-platform development tool.  It (and Visual FoxPro) is a
Windows-only development tool.

VB and VFox are very similar in use, meaning drag-and-drop of components.
The major difference lies in the programming language.  VB uses a modern
variant of Basic, and VFox uses xBase (as in Clipper).

Both languages have their strong suits.  VFox is better at developing
database applications, VB is better at creating Internet applications.  It
just depends on exactly what you are going to do.

My recommendation is to buy Visual Studio so you get both products.  That
way, you can use one or the other--they are both much easier to learn than,
say, C++.

Robert

Quote:
> As a newcomer to the client-server development arena, I am beginning the
> process of evaluating possible development environments.  What are the
> differences between say Visual Foxpro and Visual Basic?  Is Visual Basic
> more of a cross platform development tool?  What are the strengths and
> weaknesses of each?

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

Quote:

> > VB is not a cross-platform development tool.  It (and Visual FoxPro) is a
> > Windows-only development tool.

> Oops.  Brain slip.  There is a Visual FoxPro for the Macintosh.

WHOOOPI!!!!!  So there is *****ONE***** probably outdated VFP for a DYING
platform owned by a company that has a person at the helm that almost TOTALLY
destrioyed the company earlier, and has started to make BIG progress in
achieving that goal finally.  One major licensee is apparantly going to sue for
breach of contract, etc......

As far as I am concerned, that is a NON-issue!  BESIDES, two platforms is NOT
multi!

There are SEVERAL computers, including ALPHA, INTEL 8086, MOTOROLA 68000,
etc.....

The MAC O/S doesn't have enough viability to be considered.

There are SEVERAL O/S, including DOS, WINDOWS N/T, UNIX(various variants), VMS.

There are various environments, including NATIVE,WIN/95, XWINDOWS.

I don't mention CP/M, or RT-11, TSX-32, etc...(O/S)  or TSX, GEM (environ) for
the same reason I don't mention MAC O/S!  Not enough market share!

A combo of those is a platform.

Quote:
> So I guess
> it technically isn't a cross-platform development tool, since you can't
> compile Mac apps with the Windows version :).

Is it even SOURCE compatible?  As I recall, several products AREN'T!
Quote:
> Robert

Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic vs. Visual Foxpro

2. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

3. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

4. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

5. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

6. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

7. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

8. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

9. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

10. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

11. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

12. Visual Baisc vs Visual Foxpro