>AX DLL's<
Author Message
 >AX DLL's<

I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines if
that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL is sel
registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL file
(so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this? I have
been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and internet).

Thanx in advance for helping me out!

Ric.

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:11:04 GMT
 >AX DLL's<
Didn't you bombard all these newsgroups(*) with this same query last week?

Well, maybe no one knows how (or even if) this can be done.

Best place for you to start is probably MSDN, look for this topic (from my
MSDN CD version):

"Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format Specification"

--
Michael Mattias
Tal Systems Inc.

Note: My newsreader (outlook express) and news server (GTE/verizon) could
not resolve these newsgroups:
basicworld.public.basicpro
basicworld.public.vb.winapi
comp.lang.basic.visual
comp.lang.visual.basic

> I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines if
> that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL is
sel
> registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL file
> (so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this? I
have
> been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and internet).

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:22:30 GMT
 >AX DLL's<
So what if I did? Since I got no reply I posted again. Any trouble with
that?
And, no, MSDN does not provide an answer to this.
Don't bother replying if you got nothing to say. :(

Quote:
> Didn't you bombard all these newsgroups(*) with this same query last week?

> Well, maybe no one knows how (or even if) this can be done.

> Best place for you to start is probably MSDN, look for this topic (from my
> MSDN CD version):

> "Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format
Specification"

> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems Inc.
> Racine WI USA

> Note: My newsreader (outlook express) and news server (GTE/verizon) could
> not resolve these newsgroups:
> basicworld.public.basicpro
> basicworld.public.vb.winapi
> comp.lang.basic.visual
> comp.lang.visual.basic

> > I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines if
> > that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL is
> sel
> > registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL file
> > (so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this? I
> have
> > been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and internet).

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 05:35:58 GMT
 >AX DLL's<
Because OCX and ActiveX DLL are registered into the Registry and classical
DLL aren't, you should try to focus on API functions like RegOpenKey,
RegEnumValue, etc.

You'll find into the registry an entry that hold all the OCX and DLL
registered onto the machine:
  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / clsid
These entries contains the path and name of the corresponding file.

            Martin Descoteaux

Quote:
> Didn't you bombard all these newsgroups(*) with this same query last week?

> Well, maybe no one knows how (or even if) this can be done.

> Best place for you to start is probably MSDN, look for this topic (from my
> MSDN CD version):

> "Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format
Specification"

> --
> Michael Mattias
> Tal Systems Inc.
> Racine WI USA

> Note: My newsreader (outlook express) and news server (GTE/verizon) could
> not resolve these newsgroups:
> basicworld.public.basicpro
> basicworld.public.vb.winapi
> comp.lang.basic.visual
> comp.lang.visual.basic

> > I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines if
> > that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL is
> sel
> > registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL file
> > (so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this? I
> have
> > been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and internet).

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:58:29 GMT
 >AX DLL's<

Quote:
> So what if I did? Since I got no reply I posted again. Any trouble with
> that?

As a matter of fact yes. Don't you think theres a reason noone answered
you???. This is just a waste of precious bytes.

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:41:42 GMT
 >AX DLL's<

Quote:
> As a matter of fact yes. Don't you think theres a reason noone answered
> you???. This is just a waste of precious bytes.

A reason noone answered me?? hummm, let me think... ignorance? VB
illiteracy? ...
Waste of precious bytes? hummm... precious are good answers to a well put
question like mine. You must be quite a nerd to find bytes precious.

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:58:05 GMT
 >AX DLL's<
Merci beaucoup Martin! Cela m'est d'un grand secours.

Quote:
> Because OCX and ActiveX DLL are registered into the Registry and classical
> DLL aren't, you should try to focus on API functions like RegOpenKey,
> RegEnumValue, etc.

> You'll find into the registry an entry that hold all the OCX and DLL
> registered onto the machine:
>   HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / clsid
> These entries contains the path and name of the corresponding file.

>             Martin Descoteaux

> > Didn't you bombard all these newsgroups(*) with this same query last
week?

> > Well, maybe no one knows how (or even if) this can be done.

> > Best place for you to start is probably MSDN, look for this topic (from
my
> > MSDN CD version):

> > "Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format
> Specification"

> > --
> > Michael Mattias
> > Tal Systems Inc.
> > Racine WI USA

> > Note: My newsreader (outlook express) and news server (GTE/verizon)
could
> > not resolve these newsgroups:
> > basicworld.public.basicpro
> > basicworld.public.vb.winapi
> > comp.lang.basic.visual
> > comp.lang.visual.basic

> > > I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines
if
> > > that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL
is
> > sel
> > > registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL
file
> > > (so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this?
> > have
> > > been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and
internet).

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:08:07 GMT
 >AX DLL's<

Quote:

>I need to write a program that scans my drive for .DLLs an determines if
>that .DLL is in fact an OCX. I also need to find out if that OCX-DLL is sel
>registering or not and what the CLSID is that is embeded is the DLL file
>(so, not reading from the registry). Does anyone know how to do this? I have
>been looking for APIs, but none found (source: API-Guide and internet).

Strange I posted this ages ago - the giveaways for AX 'DLLs' are:-

DllCanUnloadNow
DllGetClassObject
DllRegisterServer
DllUnregisterServer

Just because a DLL is in your registry does not mean that it is still
on disk - and just because it is on disk does not mean that it is
registered.

A poke around in SETUP1 - the VB bit of the setup wizard should
provide some interesting stuff :-

Declare Function GetClsidFromActXFile _
             Lib "VB5STKIT.DLL" _
             (ByVal pszFilename As String, _
              ByVal pszProgID As String, _
              ByVal pszClsid As String) As Long

This looks a bit of a contender for the task.

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:05:18 GMT

1. >AX DLL's<

2. >AX DLL's<

3. >AX DLL's<

5. HELP >>>>>>WIN API <<<<<<<<<<

8. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>

9. VB5<->RDO2<->ODBC<->ORACLE Procedure Problem

10. <<<Cneck Box>>>

11. <<<Gif Files>>>

12. <<<CD ROM>>>