Program Testers, Beta Testers
Author Message
 Program Testers, Beta Testers

What does Beta stand for or mean?  I have a question is there people out
there who test programs for free?  Is there a newsgroup or something where
everybody just shares programs to be tested?

Just wondering cause I have a program that I need feedback on.

Thanks
DDWYER

Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Program Testers, Beta Testers

Quote:
>What does Beta stand for or mean?

The Greek alphabet goes:

Alpha
Beta
Delta
Gamma
Omega

Hence the expression "alpha and omega" (beginning and end).

Quote:
>I have a question is there people out there who test programs
>for free?  Is there a newsgroup or something where
>everybody just shares programs to be tested?

Well, for free - I don't know. Usually beta testers get a registered copy
of the program in question when it's released.

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Program Testers, Beta Testers

writes:

Quote:

> What does Beta stand for or mean?

When you develop software, first you create one or more alpha releases.
These generally have no user interface, and if you do exactly what your
meant to the basic code will execute. Type a single character wrong,
and they're liable{*filter*}up.

The next release are beta releases. These have the user interface pretty much
finished, and they shouldn't crash. They usually do, but they shouldn't.

Quote:
> I have a question is there people out
> there who test programs for free?

I uploaded a copy of my app to an FTP site. Someone wrote back telling
me a list of bugs so I asked him if he'd like to be my offical beta
tester. He said yes. I am going to put his name in the about box and/or
helpfile.

TTFN

 _  _____  _   _

| || (_) || `\| | http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~balchen/igloo/
| ||  _  || , ` |
(_)(_) (_)(_) (_) stops, what is a workstation?

Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Program Testers, Beta Testers

Quote:

>What does Beta stand for or mean?  I have a question is there people out
>there who test programs for free?  Is there a newsgroup or something where
>everybody just shares programs to be tested?

A Beta version is a pre-release version that's normally fully or
mostly functional and has been distributed to a limited set of
users for evaluation. The testers use the software and submit bug
reports, feature requests, etc.

The Beta tester often receives a free copy of the final version
of the software as compensation for evaluating the product. Also,
Beta testers are often subject to a non-disclosure agreement
(NDA) up until the final version has been released - meaning they
may not discuss the product with anyone other than the product
developer.

If you have software that you think would benefit from a Beta
testing cycle, you could look for a newsgroup related to the type
of product and look for testers there. While you could make a
request for Beta testers in a programming newsgroup, the
evaluation you get may only be meaningful if the product is a
programming tool.

Joe

Never underestimate the power of a WAG.

http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Beta Testers needed for my Program

2. need beta testers - Realaudio player program

3. beta testers needed - RealAudio Player program

4. TabStripPanel Control Beta Released - Beta Testers Wanted!

5. Become a Microsoft Beta Tester - New Office Campaign

6. Seeking beta testers for new SMTP .NET component

7. BETA Tester - Where are my CD's? |:=(

8. Organization of beta testers

9. Beta Testers needed

10. ANNOUNCE: VBSBeaut - VBScript Beautifier BETA testers wanted.

11. Beta testers needed

12. Wanted: cbasPad Pro beta testers