Starting applications on a remote computer
Author Message
 Starting applications on a remote computer

Does anyone know how I can start an application on another computer, as if I
was at that computer starting it.  I believe DCOM makes this sort of thing
possible.

I have an application that continually polls a scheduling database to
determine when a certain process/application needs to be run, and needs to
start the application.  The problem is that the application will most likely
be on a dfferent computer than the one the scheduling application runs on.

Can anyone help me ?

Regards,

Cameron Gibbs

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer
Hi!
You can use DCOM, sure.
In VB6 You can start the application using
ObjRef = CreateObject("Myapp.MyClass", "OtherServer")  -
but you need to register that application on both computers
and the main difficulty is how to configure DCOM properly on
both computers. There is a lot of references in MSDN.
Good luck
--

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer

Quote:

>Does anyone know how I can start an application on another computer, as if I
>was at that computer starting it.  I believe DCOM makes this sort of thing
>possible.

>I have an application that continually polls a scheduling database to
>determine when a certain process/application needs to be run, and needs to
>start the application.  The problem is that the application will most likely
>be on a dfferent computer than the one the scheduling application runs on.

Try LapLink or PC Anywhere.

Irwin

Network Analyst, NetReference, Inc. - The Ultimate Reference for Network Architects

Visit the Information Technology Professional's Reference Center - http://www.itprc.com/

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer
Thanks Fedor,
I've got the application running on the remote machine, and I can call
methods, get/set properties etc...., but what I really want to be able to do
is start the application on the remote computer, and have a form come up on
the remote computer as if it was started by someone standing at the remote
computer.

Every time I call a method that shows a form etc, I see nothing either at
the local or remote end.

Any ideas ??????

Cameron.

Quote:

>Hi!
>You can use DCOM, sure.
>In VB6 You can start the application using
>ObjRef = CreateObject("Myapp.MyClass", "OtherServer")  -
>but you need to register that application on both computers
>and the main difficulty is how to configure DCOM properly on
>both computers. There is a lot of references in MSDN.
>Good luck
>--

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer
Hi!
If You want simply start application on different machine -
you can use PC anywhere.. - mail from Irwin Lazar - without any DCOM
DCOM allows to access methods, properties... -
not only start, but also communicate with another programm
But in Your case
sub start_remote()
dim ss as myclass

set ss = createobject...

end sub.. - here your remote process will terminate as ss will become
nothing  - so, if you need simply start app forever without
communication - maybe it is better to use pcanywhere

With DCOM remote server will normally terminate at least after
last client termination

I would propose to use VB6 (not VB5!!!) - i don't know what VB do
you have with appr. SP

On microsoft.com  there is example DCOMDemo including client and server

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/downloads/samples.asp

Cheers

--

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:03:28 +0800, "Cameron Gibbs"

Quote:

>Does anyone know how I can start an application on another computer, as if I
>was at that computer starting it.  I believe DCOM makes this sort of thing
>possible.

>I have an application that continually polls a scheduling database to
>determine when a certain process/application needs to be run, and needs to
>start the application.  The problem is that the application will most likely
>be on a dfferent computer than the one the scheduling application runs on.

>Can anyone help me ?

>Regards,

>Cameron Gibbs

Mon, 01 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer

That's where we can see high tech that makes nothing, and creativity that
simply does what is needed. I appreciated your post Rod.
Sylvain

Mon, 01 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer
There is one more 'oddball' way of starting a program. If the remote program
that you want to start were installed in a folder with Web Execute
permissions (part of a Web site), then you could ShellExecute the URL
(Http://servername/foldername/appname.exe) and it would start on the server
as a CGI program.
Rick Williams

Quote:

>Does anyone know how I can start an application on another computer, as if
>was at that computer starting it.  I believe DCOM makes this sort of thing
>possible.

>I have an application that continually polls a scheduling database to
>determine when a certain process/application needs to be run, and needs to
>start the application.  The problem is that the application will most
likely
>be on a dfferent computer than the one the scheduling application runs on.

>Can anyone help me ?

>Regards,

>Cameron Gibbs

Mon, 01 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Starting applications on a remote computer

Quote:
> Does anyone know how I can start an application on another computer, as if I
> was at that computer starting it.  I believe DCOM makes this sort of thing
> possible.
> I have an application that continually polls a scheduling database to
> determine when a certain process/application needs to be run, and needs to
> start the application.  The problem is that the application will most likely
> be on a dfferent computer than the one the scheduling application runs on.

I may not understand the question ? Starting an application on a remote
system is exactly the same shell command as on a local one.

RPC extends this to programs.

Do you work on some propetary non-networking capable OS ?
Or did i misunderstand you ?

Peter h

Quote:
> Can anyone help me ?
> Regards,
> Cameron Gibbs

Peter H?kanson            Phone +46 0708 39 23 04
Network Management AB     Fax   +46 031 779 7844
Email : use peter (at) gbg (dot) netman (dot) se  No copy to sanford wallace!

Tue, 02 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Starting applications on a remote computer

2. Starting applications on a remote computer

3. Starting applications on a remote computer

4. use vbscript to start application at remote computer

5. Starting process on remote computer

6. starting DCOM-server on a Remote-computer using VISIO-VBA

7. starting nt service on remote computer

8. Starting process on remote computer

9. Remote computer application launch

10. How To Execute Application On Remote Computer

11. Remote computer application launch

12. Remote computer application launch