Unexplained "Invalid Use of Property"
Author Message
 Unexplained "Invalid Use of Property"

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem and what, if any, their
solution was.

I am writing a large, but not complex application.  When I run my
application from the VB IDE or when I attempt to native-code compile it, I
receive the following error - "Invalid use of property".  However, unlike
standard error messages of this type, VB does not take me to the point in
my code that is causing the error.  Hence, I have no idea how to track down
the problem.  I can't even step through the code to find the error - it
occurs before the application can even start up within the IDE.

My application is not using anything but standard VB controls (no
third-party controls), it is made up of 20 or 30 class modules, 2 standard
modules and 5 form modules.  I'm not doing anything fancy in the app.  The
only API function declarations used by my app were created by the
Application Wizard when I first started development.

Thanks for any help.

Sun, 05 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Unexplained "Invalid Use of Property"

Hi Jeff.

One thing you want to try (if you haven't already) is to run the app in the
development environment  using the Start with Full Compile option rather
than the plain old Compile option (Ctrl-F5 instead of F5). This will check
the entire app for errors before compiling.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

And remember...

"When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro."
    -- R. Duke.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem and what, if any, their
> solution was.

> I am writing a large, but not complex application.  When I run my
> application from the VB IDE or when I attempt to native-code compile it,
> receive the following error - "Invalid use of property".  However, unlike
> standard error messages of this type, VB does not take me to the point in
> my code that is causing the error.  Hence, I have no idea how to track
down
> the problem.  I can't even step through the code to find the error - it
> occurs before the application can even start up within the IDE.

> My application is not using anything but standard VB controls (no
> third-party controls), it is made up of 20 or 30 class modules, 2
standard
> modules and 5 form modules.  I'm not doing anything fancy in the app.
The
> only API function declarations used by my app were created by the
> Application Wizard when I first started development.

> Thanks for any help.

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Unexplained "Invalid Use of Property"

        Try removing all the VB cache files.

--
Jon Clegg

Quote:
> I am writing a large, but not complex application.  When I run my
> application from the VB IDE or when I attempt to native-code compile it,
> receive the following error - "Invalid use of property".  However, unlike

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB displays "Invalid use of property", but does not show where

2. VB displays "Invalid use of property", but does not show where

3. VB displays "Invalid use of property", but does not show where

4. VB displays "Invalid use of property", but does not show where

5. Using "FirstRow" property for a Datagrid

6. Properties and "sub-Properties"

7. "INVALID DATA FORMAT"

8. Need help with "Invalid Argument"

9. "Invalid use of null" error

10. "Operation invalid without current index"

11. "Invalid Argument" Error Message

12. Error msg "Invalid Field Data "