..easy textbox question from a newbie
Author Message
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie

As my first vb project, I want to click a button that reads a class roll,
parses the names, ids, etc and then displays the data in columns.
Then I will hit a button that will rearrange the data and redisplay them in
the same window.

1) Am I right that I should use a TextBox to display the data in columns?

2) Is there any way to restrict the megatons of hits that MSDN gives when
you type in TextBox (e.g.) and all you want is info on vb?

thanks in advance

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 05:50:26 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie
A textbox doesn't work very well for columns. You can only make
them line up if you use a monospaced font.

Quote:
> 2) Is there any way to restrict the megatons of hits that MSDN gives when
> you type in TextBox (e.g.) and all you want is info on vb?

  Personally, I don't even try to find anything at MSDN. It was very slow
when they started using their ASP treeview menu. Now they've changed
many of the links and it's even worse.
  Just go to Google and enter: textbox vb columns
or something like that. You'll probably get links to sample code. If MSDN
has anything that should also show up and you can go direct to the page.

> As my first vb project, I want to click a button that reads a class roll,
> parses the names, ids, etc and then displays the data in columns.
> Then I will hit a button that will rearrange the data and redisplay them
in
> the same window.

> 1) Am I right that I should use a TextBox to display the data in columns?

> 2) Is there any way to restrict the megatons of hits that MSDN gives when
> you type in TextBox (e.g.) and all you want is info on vb?

> thanks in advance

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:00:27 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie

Quote:

> As my first vb project, I want to click a button that reads a class roll,
> parses the names, ids, etc and then displays the data in columns.
> Then I will hit a button that will rearrange the data and redisplay them in
> the same window.

> 1) Am I right that I should use a TextBox to display the data in columns?

> 2) Is there any way to restrict the megatons of hits that MSDN gives when
> you type in TextBox (e.g.) and all you want is info on vb?

> thanks in advance

1).  No, a textbox isn't the right way to go.  A Listbox would be better.  You
could try experimenting with a FlexGrid also...

2).  I have no idea - I try not to use it.  :)

Good luck,

Charles

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:11:09 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie
| A textbox doesn't work very well for columns. You can only make
| them line up if you use a monospaced font.

While not the perfect control for the OP's use, the statement above is
incorrect. Text boxes support adjustable tab stops just as the listbox does
... see http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/textapi/txboxtabs.htm and
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/listapi/cooltabs.htm

--

Randy Birch
MVP Visual Basic

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:34:34 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie

Quote:
> 2) Is there any way to restrict the megatons of hits that MSDN gives
when
> you type in TextBox (e.g.) and all you want is info on vb?

Try changing your Active Subset to "Visual Basic Documentation".

Rick

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:10:30 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie

Quote:
> While not the perfect control for the OP's use, the statement above is
> incorrect. Text boxes support adjustable tab stops

Woops! That's good to know.

> | A textbox doesn't work very well for columns. You can only make
> | them line up if you use a monospaced font.

> While not the perfect control for the OP's use, the statement above is
> incorrect. Text boxes support adjustable tab stops just as the listbox
does
> ... see http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/textapi/txboxtabs.htm and
> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/listapi/cooltabs.htm

> --

> Randy Birch
> MVP Visual Basic
> http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so all can benefit.

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:10:51 GMT
 ..easy textbox question from a newbie
Thanks very much to you all for your patient and good advice.

It helped a lot.

Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:24:16 GMT

1. EASY EASY EASY question

2. Easy Textbox Question ?

3. easy textbox question

4. Newbie Question, Easy Answer

5. Please assist a VB newbie with an easy Excel question

6. EASY QUESTION but i am a newbie

7. newbie string EASY question

8. 2 easy newbie questions

9. Newbie easy question

10. Easy Newbie Question

11. Easy VB Programming Questions From VB Newbie

12. Easy newbie question