HELP: VB and Microsoft Project (Tech Support Useless)
Author Message
 HELP: VB and Microsoft Project (Tech Support Useless)

For weeks now I have been fighting with Microsoft Project in trying to
get it integrated into VB.  All I want to do is somehow get the
Microsoft Project "Task List" and "Gantt Chart" into my Visual Basic
project.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  I have tried do this
using the OLE Control and creating a link to the project the file.  This
somewhat works but the control does not autosize leaving many tasks sort
of "clipped" off.  If what I am doing is impossible are there any other
suggestions of doing what I am trying to do.  I am willing to purchase a
third party control or something of the sort just to get through this
project.  I call Microsoft Tech Support but they were of no help!!!.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: VB and Microsoft Project (Tech Support Useless)

Quote:

>For weeks now I have been fighting with Microsoft Project in trying to
>get it integrated into VB.  All I want to do is somehow get the
>Microsoft Project "Task List" and "Gantt Chart" into my Visual Basic
>project.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  I have tried do this
>using the OLE Control and creating a link to the project the file.  This
>somewhat works but the control does not autosize leaving many tasks sort
>of "clipped" off.  If what I am doing is impossible are there any other
>suggestions of doing what I am trying to do.  I am willing to purchase a
>third party control or something of the sort just to get through this
>project.  I call Microsoft Tech Support but they were of no help!!!.
>Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Use the ODBC powers of MS Project.  Project supports Database Export and
Inport.  This means that you can save your Project file as an ACCESS file or
SQL Server or whatever.  It makes the following tables:

        Project
        Resource Assignments
        Resources
        Tasks

Once you have the Project saved as a database file, you can use DAO (or RDO in
Enterprise Editioin) to get to the data and manipulate it anyway you want.  We
use VB to push dates around a bit and e-mail users when the schedule changes.
So just change your problem from OLE to DAO.  At least you will be able to get
to all the data easily.  Project also loads Database files as projects
seamlessly, so users can still use Project.

        -brian

        Brian Davis

        www.cis.com/briand

Fri, 25 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Unexpected error 336 - Contact Microsoft Tech. support msg

2. VB Tech Support

3. VBA code supporting localized Microsoft Project versions

4. Microsoft Project 2002 Database VS. Microsoft Project 2002 OLE DB Provider

5. Tech Support Online

6. Tech support for VS.Net

7. Tech Support Horror Stories (Crescent)

8. Tech support for a troubled user

9. Tech Support Agreements: Prices?

10. online tech support sites

11. Tech Support Log App in VB3