HELP: Project fails to load
Author Message
 HELP: Project fails to load

Hi All,

I installed VB 5.0 onto a PC which has win95 installed in the
directory "C:\windows".

I created a VB Project which works OK.

Then, on another PC I installed VB 5.0. BUT NOW win95 is installed in
the directory "C:\Win95".

On this PC, I cannot succesfully run the project created on the first
PC. It always comes up with this error:

C:\Win95\Desktop\DATAEX~1\DATAEX~1\MainCode\COMCTL32.OCX could not
be loaded-Continue loading Project?

Why is it complaining about COMCTL32.OCX in the above directory
where the project files are kept ?

There is no problem starting a NEW project and using the controls
in COMCTL32.OCX.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Joe Spanicek
Alcatel Australia Limited

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Project fails to load
Hi there, 2 solutions offered

When you save a project it saves all controlnames and their
installed path info

Use notpad to view the vbp file and amend all paths to be
consistent with the new location.

The other way around this problem is to click OK when it
fails to load the control required. Then from the components
tab re-select the controls it complained about then re-add
them to the form, delete the picturebox that vb created for
the missing controls then rename your new controls to those
in the project, the project code will all be there. Then
resave the project using save as  for all classes forms and
modules followed by project.

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Project fails to load
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at the vbp files and there was NO paths saved in
these files. I also looked at the Form files as well - no luck.

In the project file (vbp) it only gives the following:

Object={6B7E6392-850A-101B-AFC0-4210102A8DA7}#1.2#0; COMCTL32.OCX
Object={F9043C88-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB}#1.1#0; COMDLG32.OCX

Could it be that a 'COMCTL32.OCX' was already installed in
C:\Win95\System and the VB5.0 installation did not install its
own copy. Could the versions be upsetting things ?

I realise I could re-add the controls to the forms, but it loses the
property settings that the original control had.

Thanks

Joe Spanicek
Alcatel Australia Limited

Quote:

> Hi there, 2 solutions offered

> When you save a project it saves all controlnames and their
> installed path info

> Use notpad to view the vbp file and amend all paths to be
> consistent with the new location.

> The other way around this problem is to click OK when it
> fails to load the control required. Then from the components
> tab re-select the controls it complained about then re-add
> them to the form, delete the picturebox that vb created for
> the missing controls then rename your new controls to those
> in the project, the project code will all be there. Then
> resave the project using save as  for all classes forms and
> modules followed by project.

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Project fails to load
Hi,

I installed Service Pack 3 - it copied its own version of COMCTL32.OCX
into the C:\Win95\System directory. My project loads up fine now !!

Thanks for all the help.
--
Joe Spanicek
Alcatel Australia Limited

Quote:

> Hi,

> Thanks for the reply.

> I had a look at the vbp files and there was NO paths saved in
> these files. I also looked at the Form files as well - no luck.

> In the project file (vbp) it only gives the following:

> Object={6B7E6392-850A-101B-AFC0-4210102A8DA7}#1.2#0; COMCTL32.OCX
> Object={F9043C88-F6F2-101A-A3C9-08002B2F49FB}#1.1#0; COMDLG32.OCX

> Could it be that a 'COMCTL32.OCX' was already installed in
> C:\Win95\System and the VB5.0 installation did not install its
> own copy. Could the versions be upsetting things ?

> I realise I could re-add the controls to the forms, but it loses the
> property settings that the original control had.

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Project fails to load
What you have here is a failure to communicate!
The .VBP on one machine list the COMCTL32.OCX in a part of the registery
that
is not matched on the other machine. If you look inside your project.vbp you
will see the registery setting.

I've had that happen so often that what I do is not move the VBP, just the
source.
Of course that meant I had to create a different VBP for the two machines,
but small price once it was done.

It gets worse If you've installed VB6 on the same machine as your vb5 but
not on the other machine that only has vb5. I've had to make a VB5 VBP and a
VB6 VBP. And on it goes.
LGL

Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP! LoadIcon fails from dynamically loaded resource file

2. HELP! LoadIcon fails from dynamically loaded resource file

3. .NET project locking/loading DLL created by other .NET project

4. Q: VB4-32: Problems to load MS Project 4.1 project via OLE

5. ocx coud not loaded - does it continue loading project

6. comctl32.ocx cannot be loaded...continue loading project?

7. Help! VB5(SP3) projects won't load

8. Can't load/run VB6 Project - HELP!!

9. Need help in saving and loading project

10. Help, with project load.

11. Setup program fails for project with ADO

12. File open fails in DLL from VB Custom Control Project