Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC
Author Message
 Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC

Hello Everyone:

         It is the first time I use ODBC to connect to my Access Database.

 1) In ODBC Admin, I added a new DSN called "ABC" to the User DSN and the DB
path is c:\Biblio.mdb;

 2) In my VB from, I have a DataControl "Data1" and a DBGrid connected to the
"Data1".  The code is following:

 Private sub Form_Load( )

         Data1.connect = "ODBC;DSN=ABC"

 End sub

         But when I try to run the program, it give me the following error
message:

 "You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external Microsoft

Jet or ISAM database table to your database."

         Does it mean I cannot connect Access Jet Database using ODBC?

         Can anyone please tell me why it doesn't work and how I can connect
to the Access or other type of Databases using ODBC?

 Thanks in Advance!

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC
Try creating a Jet worspace and then run meconnect =
jetWorkpace.openconnection(...)
This should work. It works when using VB5 and SQL Servers.
Why would you want to connect to an Access DB using ODBC, it only slows things
down.
Quote:

> Hello Everyone:

>          It is the first time I use ODBC to connect to my Access Database.

>  1) In ODBC Admin, I added a new DSN called "ABC" to the User DSN and the DB
> path is c:\Biblio.mdb;

>  2) In my VB from, I have a DataControl "Data1" and a DBGrid connected to the
> "Data1".  The code is following:

>  Private sub Form_Load( )

>          Data1.connect = "ODBC;DSN=ABC"

>  End sub

>          But when I try to run the program, it give me the following error
> message:

>  "You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external Microsoft

> Jet or ISAM database table to your database."

>          Does it mean I cannot connect Access Jet Database using ODBC?

>          Can anyone please tell me why it doesn't work and how I can connect
> to the Access or other type of Databases using ODBC?

>  Thanks in Advance!

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC!

2. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC

3. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC!

4. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC

5. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC

6. Cannot connect to an Access DSN using ODBC!

7. CONNECTING TO ACCESS DB THRU ODBC WITHOUT DSN REMOTLY

8. Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

9. Problem with DSN using ODBC access in CrystalReports 5.0 (german and english version)

10. ODBC DSN Creation using RDO * Access to VB *

11. ODBC DSN from VB to Access using RDO

12. ODBC DSN for VB to Access using RDO