OCX/OCA
Author Message
 OCX/OCA

I friend of mine is having trouble with a VB4/16-application where the
OCA-file for TrueDBGrid is not created at runtime. Can anyone supply us
with information why this problem occours? OCA-files are not part of the
files included in a installation disk-set. When the program is run the we
get the message that a dll is not found.

Yours sincerely
  Tore Eriksmoen

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 OCX/OCA

I suspect that the problem is NOT with the "OCA" file... which is just
a temporary "cache" file built on the fly and used by OLE and/or VB
but as I recall there actually _IS_ a DLL that you have to ship with
the True DBGrid control in order to get it to work. The filename escapes
me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's described in the doc.

Quote:
> I friend of mine is having trouble with a VB4/16-application where the
> OCA-file for TrueDBGrid is not created at runtime. Can anyone supply us
> with information why this problem occours? OCA-files are not part of the
> files included in a installation disk-set. When the program is run the we
> get the message that a dll is not found.

> Yours sincerely
>   Tore Eriksmoen

Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 OCX/OCA

Quote:
>I friend of mine is having trouble with a VB4/16-application where the
>OCA-file for TrueDBGrid is not created at runtime. Can anyone supply us
>with information why this problem occours? OCA-files are not part of the
>files included in a installation disk-set. When the program is run the we
>get the message that a dll is not found.

>Yours sincerely
>  Tore Eriksmoen

I work technical support for a rather large electronic publishing
company and as I was reading your post I noticed the phrase "When the
program is run the we get the message that a dll is not found."  I
just want to comment on this for everyone's benefit.  I'm not picking
on you or anyone.  This message just seems to point out one important
issue that I have to deal with as a Senior Tech at my company -- that
is, when training other technicians I tell them they need to get the
right information and all of the information.

The only thing I can say to anyone requesting help here is to have you
remember to write down the error messages, the exact error messages,
all of the error messages, and provide those exact error messages to
those you are asking for support from.

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 OCX/OCA

Quote:

>>I friend of mine is having trouble with a VB4/16-application where the
>>OCA-file for TrueDBGrid is not created at runtime. Can anyone supply us
>>with information why this problem occours? OCA-files are not part of the
>>files included in a installation disk-set. When the program is run the we
>>get the message that a dll is not found.

>>Yours sincerely
>>  Tore Eriksmoen

>I work technical support for a rather large electronic publishing
>company and as I was reading your post I noticed the phrase "When the
>program is run the we get the message that a dll is not found."  I
>just want to comment on this for everyone's benefit.  I'm not picking
>on you or anyone.  This message just seems to point out one important
>issue that I have to deal with as a Senior Tech at my company -- that
>is, when training other technicians I tell them they need to get the
>right information and all of the information.

>The only thing I can say to anyone requesting help here is to have you
>remember to write down the error messages, the exact error messages,
>all of the error messages, and provide those exact error messages to
>those you are asking for support from.

Yep. I agree.

I am the Technical Support manager for a not-as-large electronic
publisher. The most common complaint I get from my staff is usually
something along the lines of the following:

<Customer>  "I've got a problem running your CD - It won't load"
<Techie>    "What error message does it give?"
<Customer>  "Umm... I didn't do it, my colleague did"

My point: WHAT IS THE POINT of getting a colleage to phone up for
technical support, when they don't even know what the product is, let
alone the problem running it!!!

Same problem with the error messages. We have started writing extremely
memorable error messages ("Unable to load required file: hamster not
running fast enough" springs to mind) and at last customers remember the
hamster, at which point we know which error it is.

Just my 0.02

--
Barry Zubel
Technical Support Manager

Tue, 13 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. help : OCX/OCA/ missing reference

2. OCX/OCA Problem

3. OCX registering... and OCA

4. OCA/OCX/Visual Basic 6.0 problem

5. Difference between ocx and oca

6. Search dsSock32.ocx et dsSock32.oca

7. mscomm32.ocx & oca

8. What changes my OCX reference to and OCA reference

9. Access Denied when creating OCA, from a OCX

10. A problem with ocx written in visual c++ only in vb (oca problem)

11. MSComctlLib.ocx vs MSComctlLib.oca?

12. difference btw .OCX and .OCA?