16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question
Author Message
 16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question

When configuring Access 2.0/VB 16-bit for Microsoft SQL, what's the
difference between the sqlsrv.dll file and the dbmssoc3.dll file?

I got the sqlsrv.dll file with VB3. The dbmssoc3.dll file I found somewhere
on the internet. Can it be freely distributed?

What are the two files used for? Anyone go a breif description of why/how
these files are used in ODBC connectivity and if there are alternatives
(free)?

Thanks,
Ted

--
Remove "HATESPAM" from email address to reply...

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question
Hello Ted,

The SQLSRV.DLL file is the actual SQL Server ODBC driver.  The DBMSSOC3.DLL
file is the TCPIP Sockets network library that the SQLSRV.DLL file uses to
create a Winsock connection to a SQL Server.  Both files are part of the
Microsoft Universal Data Access 2.0 pack available from
http://www.microsoft.com/data/ and should be redistributable.

I'd suggest downloading the latest versions of the Universal Data Access
stuff and reading its docs.  It will tell you exactly what files you can
redistribute and which ones you can't.

I hope this helps,

Larry Tubbs Jr. MCP, MCSD
Silverleaf Resorts Inc., NYSE: SVR

http://home.sprintmail.com/~ltubbs/

Quote:

>When configuring Access 2.0/VB 16-bit for Microsoft SQL, what's the
>difference between the sqlsrv.dll file and the dbmssoc3.dll file?

>I got the sqlsrv.dll file with VB3. The dbmssoc3.dll file I found somewhere
>on the internet. Can it be freely distributed?

>What are the two files used for? Anyone go a breif description of why/how
>these files are used in ODBC connectivity and if there are alternatives
>(free)?

>Thanks,
>Ted

>--
>Remove "HATESPAM" from email address to reply...

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question

2. 16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question

3. 16-bit ODBC Microsoft SQL driver question

4. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

5. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

6. Visual Basic 4.0 16 bit using Microsoft DAO 2.5 - ODBC SQL Passthrough

7. 16 Bit ODBC driver with Access 97

8. 16/32-bit ODBC drivers

9. VB 5.0 w/ 16 Bit ODBC Drivers

10. ODBC 16-bit text driver

11. help! Using 16-bit ODBC driver (Superbase)

12. HELP! 16 bit ODBC drivers w/ VB