VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File
Author Message
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Hi,

I am rather new to Windows programming so please accept my apologies
if my questions do not make sense or have been answered million times.

I built a small VB6 application that I need to deploy it to user
workstation.

1. When I run P&D Wizard can I assume that it includes _all_ the
components I need? I mean that if I use a certain DLL and it needs
other DLLs to run properly will all of them be included?

2. When I run P&D Wizard it gives two options: Package and Dependency
File. Do I need to create Dependency file (using the second option)
before I create the package?

3. If D&P Wizard tells me that it does not have dependency information
for a certain component what am I supposed to do about it?

4. What would be a good (but not overwhelming) source to educate
myself on P&DW issues?

TIA,

 Eugene

Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:28:13 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

> Hi,

> I am rather new to Windows programming so please accept my apologies
> if my questions do not make sense or have been answered million times.

> I built a small VB6 application that I need to deploy it to user
> workstation.

> 1. When I run P&D Wizard can I assume that it includes _all_ the
> components I need? I mean that if I use a certain DLL and it needs
> other DLLs to run properly will all of them be included?

  It will include the files for anything you've added or referenced.
 If you use 3rd party DLLs you might need to add those by hand in
 some cases. It also adds the VB6 Runtime files. If you don't need
to ship those (1 MB+) you can remove them from the package list.

Quote:

> 2. When I run P&D Wizard it gives two options: Package and Dependency
> File. Do I need to create Dependency file (using the second option)
> before I create the package?

No.

Quote:

> 3. If D&P Wizard tells me that it does not have dependency information
> for a certain component what am I supposed to do about it?

  Usually you can ignore it. In some cases it may say the dep. info is
out of date. You can edit the .DEP file yourself if that's relevant. (I
found
that updating SCRRUN.DLL didn't come with a new DEP file and I had
to change the exisiting one.)

Quote:

> 4. What would be a good (but not overwhelming) source to educate
> myself on P&DW issues?

http://www.vb-world.net/articles/customsetup/index.html
Quote:

> TIA,

>  Eugene

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:17:08 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File
THere's a statement in the article pointed to below that the Package and
Deployment Wiz won't do the job in Win 2000.
Is that so?

--
http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for  Word macros,
including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;

> --
> --

> > Hi,

> > I am rather new to Windows programming so please accept my apologies
> > if my questions do not make sense or have been answered million times.

> > I built a small VB6 application that I need to deploy it to user
> > workstation.

> > 1. When I run P&D Wizard can I assume that it includes _all_ the
> > components I need? I mean that if I use a certain DLL and it needs
> > other DLLs to run properly will all of them be included?

>   It will include the files for anything you've added or referenced.
>  If you use 3rd party DLLs you might need to add those by hand in
>  some cases. It also adds the VB6 Runtime files. If you don't need
> to ship those (1 MB+) you can remove them from the package list.

> > 2. When I run P&D Wizard it gives two options: Package and Dependency
> > File. Do I need to create Dependency file (using the second option)
> > before I create the package?

> No.

> > 3. If D&P Wizard tells me that it does not have dependency information
> > for a certain component what am I supposed to do about it?

>   Usually you can ignore it. In some cases it may say the dep. info is
> out of date. You can edit the .DEP file yourself if that's relevant. (I
> found
> that updating SCRRUN.DLL didn't come with a new DEP file and I had
> to change the exisiting one.)

> > 4. What would be a good (but not overwhelming) source to educate
> > myself on P&DW issues?

> http://www.vb-world.net/articles/customsetup/index.html

> > TIA,

> >  Eugene

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 05:54:03 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Quote:
> THere's a statement in the article pointed to below that the Package and
> Deployment Wiz won't do the job in Win 2000.
> Is that so?

Correct; it _may_ work, it may not.

PDW is older than Win2K, and knows nothing about
System File Protection. Check the MS web site for
"Visual Studio Installer".

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:42:53 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Quote:
>Correct; it _may_ work, it may not.

>PDW is older than Win2K, and knows nothing about
>System File Protection. Check the MS web site for
>"Visual Studio Installer".

There was no mention in there about VSI working on WinXP.  Does it?

TIA
Duncan

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:07:33 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Quote:
> THere's a statement in the article pointed to below that the Package and
> Deployment Wiz won't do the job in Win 2000.
> Is that so?

It gets in a twist if you install a newer system file on Win2k (and I think
ME as well)  Upon rebooting, Windows puts the old one back.  The installer
replaces it. The struggle goes on forever and users go looking for another
program to install.

I edited my copy of the Setup1.exe file (you get the source & project with
VB) so that on Windows Me, 2K or XP it doensn't replace any existing files,
whether newer, older or the same.  Seems to have fixed the problem, and I
prefer the PDW over the Windows installer because it doesn't add 3 megs of
Windows Installer runtimes to your distribution package.

The downside is that sometimes they NEED a newer file (tabctl32.ocx is one
that keeps coming up).  I believe you have to install service packs instead
of copying runtimes into the system folder.

Another trick I read about was to replace the SP5 runtimes in the REDIST
folder (inside the VB program files folder somewhere) with their SP4
equivalents, which are the ones used on Win 2K.  You're not replacing old
with new, so it ought to work.

Cheers
Simon Haynes
www.spacejock.com

Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:09:09 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Quote:

> >Correct; it _may_ work, it may not.

> >PDW is older than Win2K, and knows nothing about
> >System File Protection. Check the MS web site for
> >"Visual Studio Installer".

> There was no mention in there about VSI working on WinXP.  Does it?

Yes. You probably won't see any information about
XP compatibility; MS is moving to dotnet, and updating
documentation about older tools is never a high priority.

But VS Installer uses Windows Installer, and Windows
Installer is _the_ correct way to install on Windows.

FWIW, InstallShield, Wise, and many others also
use Windows Installer.

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:39:34 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File
Another question, if I may.

There is a file MDAC_TYP.EXE included in my Cab.

Will SetUp automatically run it when necessary or do I have to do anything myself?

If it matters, I develop in NT4 for NT4 deployment.

TIA, Eugene

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:48:26 GMT
 VB6 (SP5): Package and Deployment Wizard Dependency File

Quote:

> Another question, if I may.

> There is a file MDAC_TYP.EXE included in my Cab.

> Will SetUp automatically run it when necessary or do I have to do
> anything myself?

If it got there through the Package & Deployment Wizard,
it should run by itself.
Quote:

> If it matters, I develop in NT4 for NT4 deployment.

Make certain it is installed under administrative priviliges.
MDAC requires that in the system directories.

Terry Auttin

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 05:16:37 GMT

1. about the Package and Deployment Wizard (VB6)

2. VB6 and Package & Deployment Wizard

3. VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard

4. VB6: Package/Deployment wizard bug?

5. VB6 Package and deployment wizard

6. vb6 package and deployment wizard problem

7. Package & Deployment Wizard Questions (VB6)

8. Problem in VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

9. VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

10. Question about VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard

11. VB6 Package & Deployment Wizard Question

12. vb6 package and deployment wizard problems