Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0
Author Message
 Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0

Hello,

I have almost finished making an application in VB4.0 PRO (English
version). Now the next task is to translate the application to Chinese.
Few questions I have, and I'd appreciate input:
(1) Can VB4.0 (English) handle Chinese fonts? The images that contain
English will be changed to images with Chinese writing. How about:
        o Displaying Chinese characters in message boxes?
        o Displaying Chinese characters in Apex True DBGrid?
        o Displaying Chinese characters in the caption of forms?
Can the English version handle the task or do I have to purchase VB4.0
in Chinese?
(2) Sorting is an issue when dealing with Chinese characters. How can I
sort by name? How does Excel, for example, sort Chinese names? Is there
a code written that handles sorting Chinese strings?
(3) Specifying a range of names is another issue. In English I can say
"All names between A and E". How is this done in Chinese?

Thank you
Sleiman
PS. Please reply to sender as well when you reply to this message.

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0
I know that it didn't work well in vb5, so this is good news.

You're using a non-Asian Windows version?

Quote:

> 1. yes, the English version of VB can handle the Chinese character, n I m
> using the vb6 pro (English) n can make quite a lot of Chinese program. u can
> use the Chinese everywhere in the VB in all the object.

> 2. the Chinese character is sort by the ASCII code as the same as English
> character. if u convert the Chinese character into symbol, then u will able
> to see there is 2 symbol. the computer is sort the Chinese character by
> that. if you want to sort the Chinese string, just sort it as same as sort
> the English string. the computer will handle it.

> 3. what do you mean by the range of Chinese character? you want to control
> the Chinese character of the user entered? it may have a little bit trouble
> because the Chinese character is not same as English n you will be in
> trouble to set the range for some special character allowed.

> Hidulf
> Planet Hidulf
>     http://come.to/hidulf/
>     http://fast.to/hidulf/
> Gundam Satellite
>     http://move.to/gundam/

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0
Thanks for the info.

Quote:

[...]
> 2. the Chinese character is sort by the ASCII code as the same as English
> character. if u convert the Chinese character into symbol, then u will able
> to see there is 2 symbol. the computer is sort the Chinese character by
> that. if you want to sort the Chinese string, just sort it as same as sort
> the English string. the computer will handle it.

It seems to me that Chinese characters are sorted by the number of
strokes. So for example, the character for "big" (Da in Mandarin, Tai in
Cantonese) comes before the character for "middle" (Zhong, the first
character in the name "China") because the former has two strokes in it
and the second has three strokes. Does the double-byte set order support
this? Does the computer sorting support this?

Quote:
> 3. what do you mean by the range of Chinese character? you want to control
> the Chinese character of the user entered? it may have a little bit trouble
> because the Chinese character is not same as English n you will be in
> trouble to set the range for some special character allowed.

In the English version of my application, the user can specify "Give me
all names that are lexicographically bigger than 'A' and less than 'G'
". So the name Chris falls in the range, but Micro doesn't. In order to
do something like this in Chinese characters there has to be a
conventional sort order among the Chinese characters that is supported
by the computer (and the double-byte set order). Is there?

Thanks
Sleiman

Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
> [...]

>(1) Can VB4.0 (English) handle Chinese fonts? The images that contain
>English will be changed to images with Chinese writing. How about:
> o Displaying Chinese characters in message boxes?
> o Displaying Chinese characters in Apex True DBGrid?
> o Displaying Chinese characters in the caption of forms?
>Can the English version handle the task or do I have to purchase VB4.0
>in Chinese?
>(2) Sorting is an issue when dealing with Chinese characters. How can I
>sort by name? How does Excel, for example, sort Chinese names? Is there
>a code written that handles sorting Chinese strings?
>(3) Specifying a range of names is another issue. In English I can say
>"All names between A and E". How is this done in Chinese?

>Thank you
>Sleiman
>PS. Please reply to sender as well when you reply to this message.

Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0
I don't believe VB 4.0 will handle Chinese fonts very well.  Contact Whipple
Ware (www.whippleware.com).  They have a product for doing translations,
when you don't design it for translation from the ground up.

VB 5 will handle resource strings, which makes the translations easier.

--
John von Colditz
Ki Software Corporation

(503) 639-9138

Quote:

>>Hello,

>>I have almost finished making an application in VB4.0 PRO (English
>>version). Now the next task is to translate the application to Chinese.
>>Few questions I have, and I'd appreciate input:
>>(1) Can VB4.0 (English) handle Chinese fonts? The images that contain
>>English will be changed to images with Chinese writing. How about:
>> o Displaying Chinese characters in message boxes?
>> o Displaying Chinese characters in Apex True DBGrid?
>> o Displaying Chinese characters in the caption of forms?
>>Can the English version handle the task or do I have to purchase VB4.0
>>in Chinese?
>>(2) Sorting is an issue when dealing with Chinese characters. How can I
>>sort by name? How does Excel, for example, sort Chinese names? Is there
>>a code written that handles sorting Chinese strings?
>>(3) Specifying a range of names is another issue. In English I can say
>>"All names between A and E". How is this done in Chinese?

>>Thank you
>>Sleiman
>>PS. Please reply to sender as well when you reply to this message.

Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0

2. FS: Mastering Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0 and Visual C++ 4.0 CD-ROMs

3. Visual Basic 4.0 usage of DLLs written in Visual C++ 4.0

4. Visual Basic 4.0 usage of DLLs written in Visual C++ 4.0

5. Visual Basic 3.0 vs Visual Basic 4.0

6. Visual Basic 5.0 vs. Visual Basic 4.0

7. Does visual basic use basic language?

8. Chinese Application problem with Visual Basic

9. Please Help: Visual Basic stopped working in Chinese Windows95

10. Programming Visual Basic in Chinese...

11. Chinese Application problem with Visual Basic

12. Chinese characters and Visual Basic