An "unexpected error" adding OCX control
Author Message
 An "unexpected error" adding OCX control

I'm trying to make an email-capable application.   To this end, I'm
using an SMTP.OCX control from MicroTech.

It works fine on this computer I'm currently using at home.

It *used* to work fine on my computer at work... but not for the
last few days.
Since the start of the week, if I try to add the control to any
form, VB5 gives me an "unexpected error", with no further info
on what it doesnt like.  (and of course does not add the control
to the form)

The "Regclean" utility shows no registry errors.

The "Depends" utility shows that there appears to be no DLL problems.

The "Filemon" utility shows that all system calls were successful.

Any ideas?

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 An "unexpected error" adding OCX control
We've had this problem too. It's something to do with a versioning issue
with the file OLEAUT32.DLL. Or, at least, it could be.

Copy this file onto the machine that your program isn't working on and try
running it again.

Regards

Dave

Quote:

> I'm trying to make an email-capable application.   To this end, I'm
> using an SMTP.OCX control from MicroTech.

> It works fine on this computer I'm currently using at home.

> It *used* to work fine on my computer at work... but not for the
> last few days.
> Since the start of the week, if I try to add the control to any
> form, VB5 gives me an "unexpected error", with no further info
> on what it doesnt like.  (and of course does not add the control
> to the form)

> The "Regclean" utility shows no registry errors.

> The "Depends" utility shows that there appears to be no DLL problems.

> The "Filemon" utility shows that all system calls were successful.

> Any ideas?

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 An "unexpected error" adding OCX control

Quote:

>> It *used* to work fine on my computer at work... but not for the
>> last few days.
>> Since the start of the week, if I try to add the control to any
>> form, VB5 gives me an "unexpected error", with no further info
>> on what it doesnt like.  (and of course does not add the control
>> to the form)
>We've had this problem too. It's something to do with a versioning issue
>with the file OLEAUT32.DLL. Or, at least, it could be.

>Copy this file onto the machine that your program isn't working on and try
>running it again.

Well, copying OLEAUT32.DLL (598288 bytes, version 2.40.4275.1) from
the PC that works, over the top of the version on the PC that
didnt work (598288 bytes, version 2.40.4277.1), actually didnt
make the slightest bit of difference at all.

cheers...
P.S.  I actually did this yesterday, tried all of the DLL's that
"depends" mentioned, one by one.

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 An "unexpected error" adding OCX control

Quote:

>I'm trying to make an email-capable application.   To this end, I'm
>using an SMTP.OCX control from MicroTech.

>It works fine on this computer I'm currently using at home.

>It *used* to work fine on my computer at work... but not for the
>last few days.
>Since the start of the week, if I try to add the control to any
>form, VB5 gives me an "unexpected error", with no further info
>on what it doesnt like.  (and of course does not add the control
>to the form)

>The "Regclean" utility shows no registry errors.

>The "Depends" utility shows that there appears to be no DLL problems.

>The "Filemon" utility shows that all system calls were successful.

>Any ideas?

Unexpected Error
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q189/4/72.asp
"Unexpected Error; Quitting" Running VB on Windows 95/98. This error occurs
after the Visual Basic splash screen appears.

Henri Leboeuf

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 An "unexpected error" adding OCX control

Quote:

>I'm trying to make an email-capable application.   To this end, I'm
>using an SMTP.OCX control from MicroTech.

>It works fine on this computer I'm currently using at home.

>It *used* to work fine on my computer at work... but not for the
>last few days.
>Since the start of the week, if I try to add the control to any
>form, VB5 gives me an "unexpected error", with no further info
>on what it doesnt like.  (and of course does not add the control
>to the form)

>The "Regclean" utility shows no registry errors.

>The "Depends" utility shows that there appears to be no DLL problems.

>The "Filemon" utility shows that all system calls were successful.

>Any ideas?

This is the same problem we had with some custom ActiveX controls we had
written in VB.

To make a long story short, we had a problem with the registration of
that control in the registry.

If this is the problem you have, you need to:

1.  Copy the offending .OCX to a floppy, to a network share, zip file or
other location

2.  Remove the offending .OCX file from your system by deleting and
emptrying the recycling bin

3. Make sure the .ocx file copy is not accessable to your filesystem

4.  Run regclean, repeatedly, until it says there are no problems.  You
may need to run it three or more times until this is the case.  This will
delete the registry entries from your system pertaining to the .ocx file
and is the only way to truly make sure they are gone (without Regedit and
tons of expertise).

5.  Put the .OCX file back on your system and reregister it.

Good luck!

Matthew Cromer
President, SDA Consulting, Inc.

http://www.sdaconsulting.com

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. cdbase.ocx causes "unexpected error"

2. "Unexpected error - quitting" error

3. Error "Unexpected error"?

4. What is "Unexpected error (35012)"?

5. VB5Prog.exe "Unexpected Error" on XP

6. VB5 apps reports "unexpected error"

7. "Unexpected Error" shit

8. Generic Setup "Unexpected Error: Quiting"

9. "Unexpected Error, Quitting" in VB4 program

10. Solution to "Unexpected Error - Quitting"

11. "Unexpected Error" during installation

12. Setup "Unexpected Error"