VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
Author Message
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...

I'm going to buy either VB 6 Pro or VB .Net and had a few questions.
First, My current VB 6 Pro apps use code that connects to an Access database
and does add, edit etc.. through a DAO connection. Can VB .Net do that?
Second, Does VB .Net import existing VB 6 Pro projects perfectly?
Third, What version of VB .Net do i need to create/modify databases as i am
doing with VB 6?
Also, is VB .Net worth it?

Thanks

Dave

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:23:42 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no easy answer to
your question.

VB .Net does appear to support DAO, although the newer methods are ADO and ADO
dot Net.  VB dot Net does not import VB 6 projects perfectly.  The amount of
"tweaking" necessary depends on the complexity and features your program uses.
You can get a better idea by visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio to
gauge your situation.

If you are already familiar with VB 6 you will experience a significant
learning curve when making the transition to VB dot Net.  If you distribute
your apps, you should be aware that dot Net requires a 20 MB (yes, megabyte)
runtime called the CLR.  I work for a company that distributes desktop
applications to employees via the Internet, and this drawback has delayed our
transition to dot Net for some of the developers.  (The guys who write the
server-side apps are not affected by this.)

OTOH I bought VS dot Net for my own use at home.  IMHO it's a great
improvement over VB 6.  If I were developing new applications for personal
use, or that could be distributed via CD-ROM, I'd use VB dot Net.  No doubt
about it.  However, I'm keeping VB 6 installed for those apps I've already
written, that I don't want to convert.

Finally, you should keep in mind that Microsoft says on their web page that
mainstream support for VB 6 will end by January 2005.  If you don't make the
transition now, you'll have even more apps to convert when the time comes.
Ugly but it's true.

Whichever you choose to do, happy coding.

Quote:
>I'm going to buy either VB 6 Pro or VB .Net and had a few questions.
>First, My current VB 6 Pro apps use code that connects to an Access database
>and does add, edit etc.. through a DAO connection. Can VB .Net do that?
>Second, Does VB .Net import existing VB 6 Pro projects perfectly?
>Third, What version of VB .Net do i need to create/modify databases as i am
>doing with VB 6?
>Also, is VB .Net worth it?

>Thanks

>Dave

Ric
Swarthmore, PA  USA

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:31:57 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...

Quote:
> ...VB dot Net does not import VB 6 projects perfectly.  The
> amount of "tweaking" necessary depends on the complexity
> and features your program uses.
> If you are already familiar with VB 6 you will experience a
> significant learning curve when making the transition to VB dot Net.

Dav might find these links interesting...

www.devx.com/free/hotlinks/2002/ednote022002/ednote022002.asp

www.mvps.org/vb/rants/vfred.htm

Rick

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:42:32 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
a 20 MEGABYTE runtime? O my god. I thought the current one was bad! Wow.
Well, that settles it. I think i'll go get my vb 6 pro.
When vb.net converts VB programs, can those programs now run through a
browser?
Yeah, i read that MS drops support in 2005. I don't use their support
anyway. As long as my VB apps continue to run for a couple of more major
window versions i'll be happy.
Thanks!

Quote:
> I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but there is no easy answer to
> your question.

> VB .Net does appear to support DAO, although the newer methods are ADO and
ADO
> dot Net.  VB dot Net does not import VB 6 projects perfectly.  The amount
of
> "tweaking" necessary depends on the complexity and features your program
uses.
> You can get a better idea by visiting http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio to
> gauge your situation.

> If you are already familiar with VB 6 you will experience a significant
> learning curve when making the transition to VB dot Net.  If you
distribute
> your apps, you should be aware that dot Net requires a 20 MB (yes,
megabyte)
> runtime called the CLR.  I work for a company that distributes desktop
> applications to employees via the Internet, and this drawback has delayed
our
> transition to dot Net for some of the developers.  (The guys who write the
> server-side apps are not affected by this.)

> OTOH I bought VS dot Net for my own use at home.  IMHO it's a great
> improvement over VB 6.  If I were developing new applications for personal
> use, or that could be distributed via CD-ROM, I'd use VB dot Net.  No
doubt
> about it.  However, I'm keeping VB 6 installed for those apps I've already
> written, that I don't want to convert.

> Finally, you should keep in mind that Microsoft says on their web page
that
> mainstream support for VB 6 will end by January 2005.  If you don't make
the
> transition now, you'll have even more apps to convert when the time comes.
> Ugly but it's true.

> Whichever you choose to do, happy coding.

> >I'm going to buy either VB 6 Pro or VB .Net and had a few questions.
> >First, My current VB 6 Pro apps use code that connects to an Access
database
> >and does add, edit etc.. through a DAO connection. Can VB .Net do that?
> >Second, Does VB .Net import existing VB 6 Pro projects perfectly?
> >Third, What version of VB .Net do i need to create/modify databases as i
am
> >doing with VB 6?
> >Also, is VB .Net worth it?

> >Thanks

> >Dave

> Ric
> Swarthmore, PA  USA

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:49:12 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
Is a 20 mb runtime that big a deal? Not in terms of drive space
anymore. My old 340 mb drives could have handled that. The runtime is
also support for C# and lots of other .Net languages. Most apps
distributed these days are on CD anyway. What is 20mb to that? More
and more people are on broadband and 20mb isn't even much of a
download.

All future Windows OS will include the runtime, beginning with new
versions of XP. The runtime will be included in service packs I would
guess. Microsoft has decreed that the future of application
programming will make use of the runtime, and the arguments for their
position seem reasonable.

That doesn't mean that my company is charging into .Net or has any
plans to convert our customer base any time soon. Hell, we still have
a few clients running a VB3 version of our app on Win31. It works for
them. But for designing anything for the future, I am pushing for
.Net.

Quote:
> [...]

>> about it.  However, I'm keeping VB 6 installed for those apps I've already
>> written, that I don't want to convert.

>> Finally, you should keep in mind that Microsoft says on their web page
>that
>> mainstream support for VB 6 will end by January 2005.  If you don't make
>the
>> transition now, you'll have even more apps to convert when the time comes.
>> Ugly but it's true.

>> Whichever you choose to do, happy coding.

>> >I'm going to buy either VB 6 Pro or VB .Net and had a few questions.
>> >First, My current VB 6 Pro apps use code that connects to an Access
>database
>> >and does add, edit etc.. through a DAO connection. Can VB .Net do that?
>> >Second, Does VB .Net import existing VB 6 Pro projects perfectly?
>> >Third, What version of VB .Net do i need to create/modify databases as i

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:44:15 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
Well, 20 mb runtime is big when my apps usually get downloaded through FTP
using a 56k connection and installed on Win NT 4 machines that have hardly
any RAM, and running on {*filter*}CPUs such as pentium i.

Quote:
> [...]

> >> OTOH I bought VS dot Net for my own use at home.  IMHO it's a great
> >> improvement over VB 6.  If I were developing new applications for
personal
> >> use, or that could be distributed via CD-ROM, I'd use VB dot Net.  No
> >doubt
> >> about it.  However, I'm keeping VB 6 installed for those apps I've
already
> >> written, that I don't want to convert.

> >> Finally, you should keep in mind that Microsoft says on their web page
> >that
> >> mainstream support for VB 6 will end by January 2005.  If you don't
make
> >the
> >> transition now, you'll have even more apps to convert when the time
comes.
> >> Ugly but it's true.

> >> Whichever you choose to do, happy coding.

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:58:36 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...

Quote:
>Is a 20 mb runtime that big a deal? Not in terms of drive space
>anymore. My old 340 mb drives could have handled that. The runtime is
>also support for C# and lots of other .Net languages. Most apps
>distributed these days are on CD anyway. What is 20mb to that? More
>and more people are on broadband and 20mb isn't even much of a
>download.

About 80% of the people in the United States do not have broadband
connections, even if they wanted them and could afford them. Not to mention
that a great number of people are still running Win9x/ME with 28-56K dialup
connections, regardless if high-speed Internet is available or not. And
those are the same people that make up a significant majority of those who
use PCs and buy software.

Sure, future versions of XP will have the .NET framework installed, but not
everyone is willing to move to the bleeding edge and fork over the coin for
a new system just to get decent performance for the applications that they
buy. The idyllic world of everyone with a 2+GHz/512+Mb box, broadband
Internet connection and running the latest version of Windows is certainly
want Microsoft WANTS you to be thinking about. But it has absolutely nothing
to do with the reality of the average Joe user... today, or even in the next
few years.

----

Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:42:21 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
It's a shame Microsoft couldn't have had the runtime ready in time to
include with Windows XP.  While 20 meg is not a problem given the size of
today's hard drives, as Dave said there are still many people who don't have
broadband.  IMHO the CLR probably is too big for Microsoft to include with a
Service Pack and most likely will be distributed as needed.  This makes it
impractical (or inconvenient at least) to distribute apps over the net.

Quote:

>>Is a 20 mb runtime that big a deal? Not in terms of drive space
>>anymore. My old 340 mb drives could have handled that. The runtime is
>>also support for C# and lots of other .Net languages. Most apps
>>distributed these days are on CD anyway. What is 20mb to that? More
>>and more people are on broadband and 20mb isn't even much of a
>>download.

>About 80% of the people in the United States do not have broadband
>connections, even if they wanted them and could afford them. Not to mention
>that a great number of people are still running Win9x/ME with 28-56K dialup
>connections, regardless if high-speed Internet is available or not. And
>those are the same people that make up a significant majority of those who
>use PCs and buy software.

>Sure, future versions of XP will have the .NET framework installed, but not
>everyone is willing to move to the bleeding edge and fork over the coin for
>a new system just to get decent performance for the applications that they
>buy. The idyllic world of everyone with a 2+GHz/512+Mb box, broadband
>Internet connection and running the latest version of Windows is certainly
>want Microsoft WANTS you to be thinking about. But it has absolutely nothing
>to do with the reality of the average Joe user... today, or even in the next
>few years.

>----

>Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Ric
Swarthmore, PA  USA

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:10:27 GMT
 VB 6 PRO or VB Net? Also...
In your case, VB 6 would definitely make more sense.  I believe dot Net
requires Windows 98 as the minimum OS release.  OTOH a client who is still
running VB 3 apps on a Win 3.1 machine probably wouldn't rate very high on my
list of requirements for designing new software anyway.

Quote:

> [...]

>>> transition to dot Net for some of the developers.  (The guys who write the
>>> server-side apps are not affected by this.)

>>> OTOH I bought VS dot Net for my own use at home.  IMHO it's a great
>>> improvement over VB 6.  If I were developing new applications for personal
>>> use, or that could be distributed via CD-ROM, I'd use VB dot Net.  No
>>doubt
>>> about it.  However, I'm keeping VB 6 installed for those apps I've already
>>> written, that I don't want to convert.

>>> Finally, you should keep in mind that Microsoft says on their web page
>>that
>>> mainstream support for VB 6 will end by January 2005.  If you don't make
>>the
>>> transition now, you'll have even more apps to convert when the time comes.
>>> Ugly but it's true.

>>> Whichever you choose to do, happy coding.

Ric
Swarthmore, PA  USA

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:15:16 GMT

1. Vb .Net or vs .Net Pro for Pocket PC Development

2. Installing VS.net Pro After VB.net standard

3. VB .Net 2003 Standard or VS .Net 2003 Pro for Smart Devices

4. Help please: VB 3.0 pro to VB 4.0 pro

5. Help needed with VB 3 Pro to VB 5 Pro upgrade

6. Upgrading to VB 5 Pro from VB 3 Pro

7. Help please: VB 3.0 pro to VB 4.0 pro

8. VB 3.0 Pro vs VB 4.0 Pro

9. VB 4 Pro 32-bit to VB 5 Pro

10. fax using VB.net WinFax Pro

11. VB.Net (pro) and Sybase