Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD
Author Message
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

This is not an ad, or even a review.  I just thought I'd direct
your attention to several articles that I happened across...

I just received the new Microsoft Software Developer Network Library
CD (#10, January 1995) this weekend and was checking out the new additions
in the technical articles section and came across three articles by
Ken Lassesman (damn! I never can remember how to spell his last name.)

The first details how to build "VB native" dll functions.  By "native"
he means functions that you VB app can call without all the bother
of using the normal API calls.  For instance, when you call the
getprivateprofilestring function, you have to dim a string, ensure
there's enough space for the chars the dll will stuff into it,
carefully call the function, trim trailing nulls from the now-stuffed
string.

With the VB native functions, you Dim the string and call the function.

dim aaa as string
aaa = vbGetPPString(args)    ' or whatever the function is named

You get back a VB string.  There's no real magic involved, just a function
from the CDK that creates a one-time, VB temp string.  The article is quite
detailed and very useful.

The second article introduces and documents an entire library of VB native
functions that Ken has constructed.  All very good stuff for ini file
manipulation, system and disk info, and several others -- all providing
simple solutions for a lot of the questions we see here every day.
The library is included on the CD, ready to use.

The third article contains the results of a great many VB optimization
tests.  For example, which variable scoping provides faster access:
global, module, local-automatic, local-static?  The answer is module.
He goes into detail on loop constructs, the deadly iif function, variable
types and many other issues and does it for VB, VBfA in Excell and other
MS products, and gives you tables of the results.

I'm not sure if these are available on ftp.microsoft.com (though they
should be).  These are very good articles by someone whose work I've
respected for quite a while.

[scrape of soapbox being positioned]

I expect each and every one of you to call up MS now and subscribe to
the MSDN Library CD. :-)  Seriously, if you're developing any product
for MS OS's or using any MS language product, you need to be getting
this CD each quarter.

[sound of soapbox being dragged back into the corner]

Robert Wallace

Fri, 04 Jul 1997 23:49:56 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:

>I just received the new Microsoft Software Developer Network Library
>CD (#10, January 1995) this weekend and was checking out the new additions
>in the technical articles section and came across three articles by
>Ken Lassesman (damn! I never can remember how to spell his last name.)

These articles sound great.

If any kind person who happens to read this can dig up a location
where I can find these articles, I would be glad to turn them
into hypertext and make them available on Carl and Gary's VB
Home Page (http://www.apexsc.com/vb/).  We have several other
MSDN articles there, but not the most recent ones mentioned here.

When I get a chance (I don't get many), I'll do some digging myself.
But, if somebody else finds them, passing a note to me will make them
available to all.
--
Gary Wisniewski

Sat, 05 Jul 1997 22:04:24 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:
>[scrape of soapbox being positioned]

>I expect each and every one of you to call up MS now and subscribe to
>the MSDN Library CD. :-)  Seriously, if you're developing any product
>for MS OS's or using any MS language product, you need to be getting
>this CD each quarter.

>[sound of soapbox being dragged back into the corner]

Robert, I appreciate the info in your post and the exuberance in  your
exhortations from the soapbox.  Perhaps some code is appropriate here; after
all, this is c.l.b.v.m:

Sub Wallet_Click()
Dim MSCost%,MSPrice%,{*filter*}%

MSCost% = 5             'Insert your guess here
{*filter*}% = 45           'Check your wallet for this number

Do
  If MSPrice% = 195 Then
     Debug.Print "Developer feels massively ripped off despite good content!"
  ElseIf MSPrice <= 50 Then
     MAPI.SendMessageToMS "Send me a copy"
 End If
Loop While ((MSPrice% - MSCost%) > {*filter*}%)
End Sub

With all apologies to MS, since they are entitled to charge whatever they want,
but when in doubt about my position refer to loop above.

PS - If the files appear on ftp.microsoft.com, someone please post a message so
those of us not willing to bite the MSDN CD fee don't have to wade through the
bazillion poorly organized files on that ftp site...  TIA.
--

Systems Analyst         WWW:     http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:54:54 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:
>>I just received the new Microsoft Software Developer Network Library
>>CD (#10, January 1995) this weekend and was checking out the new
additions
>>in the technical articles section and came across three articles by
>>Ken Lassesman (damn! I never can remember how to spell his last name.)
>These articles sound great.
>If any kind person who happens to read this can dig up a location
>where I can find these articles, I would be glad to turn them
>into hypertext and make them available on Carl and Gary's VB
>Home Page (http://www.apexsc.com/vb/).

Maybe they could just shell out the $195 bucks!  What's that equal to -- 3
billable hours!!!

On the lighter side, I agree with Robert these are *great* articles,
there's also some good stuff about netbios and the windows95 user
interface guide.

my little tirade
Eric Salem

Sun, 06 Jul 1997 11:23:59 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:

>>>I just received the new Microsoft Software Developer Network Library
>>>CD (#10, January 1995) this weekend and was checking out the new
>additions
>>>in the technical articles section and came across three articles by
>>>Ken Lassesman (damn! I never can remember how to spell his last name.)

>>These articles sound great.

>>If any kind person who happens to read this can dig up a location
>>where I can find these articles, I would be glad to turn them
>>into hypertext and make them available on Carl and Gary's VB
>>Home Page (http://www.apexsc.com/vb/).

Already done by Microsoft.

Check http://www.microsoft.com

MSDN Tech articles are there

 Phil Perucci             | "All postings are my own opinion - all comments
 Systems Integrator       |  are intended for research/educational purposes"

Mon, 07 Jul 1997 00:15:43 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

[ Robert expounds on the virtues of MSDN Library CD ]

[ Greg provides a sound algorithm for balancing cost vs. benefit ]

: PS - If the files appear on ftp.microsoft.com, someone please post a message so
: those of us not willing to bite the MSDN CD fee don't have to wade through the
: bazillion poorly organized files on that ftp site...  TIA.
: --

Calling it "poorly organized" is being extremely kind, Greg.

I've only been able to find two of them in /programr/msdn/jancd:
native.zip and natvbd.zip -- the native vb article and dll.
So far I can't seem to find the one on VB optimization/performance.

Anyone else have a clue?

Robert Wallace

Mon, 07 Jul 1997 00:05:26 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:
> [scrape of soapbox being positioned]

> I expect each and every one of you to call up MS now and subscribe to
> the MSDN Library CD. :-)  Seriously, if you're developing any product
> for MS OS's or using any MS language product, you need to be getting
> this CD each quarter.

> [sound of soapbox being dragged back into the corner]

(with a very sad face) I wish I could afford it as well......
--
Arjen Broeze                                   Telephone: (+31)53-338666

                                                          7511 BN Enschede, NL
 - If you explain so clearly that nobody can misunderstand, somebody will... -

Mon, 07 Jul 1997 05:18:17 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:

>>additions

>>>These articles sound great.

>>>If any kind person who happens to read this can dig up a location
>>>where I can find these articles, I would be glad to turn them
>>>into hypertext and make them available on Carl and Gary's VB
>>>Home Page (http://www.apexsc.com/vb/).

>Already done by Microsoft.

>Check http://www.microsoft.com

>MSDN Tech articles are there

Can you be a bit more specific?  From what I've seen, www.microsoft.com
is a big place and I don't want to visit all the links to find these
articles.  Thanks.

Dennis R. Vogel
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Middletown, NJ

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:02:08 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD
I found the article on www.microsoft.com. The URL is
http://www.microsoft.com/pages/developer/msdn/OFFRAMP/FASTRACK/TECHNO...

There is a sample file natvb507.zip, which has the nativevb.dll
library and sample code. Note that you'll need storage.dll and
compobj.dll, which are part of the ODK. All looks very good stuff.

Ian Piper

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 19:51:42 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:

>[ Greg provides a sound algorithm for balancing cost vs. benefit ]
>I've only been able to find two of them in /programr/msdn/jancd:
>native.zip and natvbd.zip -- the native vb article and dll.
>So far I can't seem to find the one on VB optimization/performance.

>Anyone else have a clue?

I read the post about the articles, and within 15 seconds (since I
generally keep the MSDN CD in my CD-rom drive) I had the articles up on
the screen. Greg and Robert read the post and they still haven't seen the
articles. I don't know how long you spent looking for the files, and I
don't know how much you or Robert think your time is worth, but given the
amount of useful content on the CD, and the corresponing amount of time I
have saved because I had the disc right here, $195 is a perfectly
reasonable amount for me to spend. Would I be happier if it was < $50?
Sure. Am I planning on dumping the CD until MS drops the price to $50? Not
a chance. So perhaps Greg could consider modifying his routine to include
the amount of time (and perhaps money) that owning the CD might save him.
Think of it like 5 really useful books that you have to pay for all at once.

By the way, the January issue also includes the Access Upsizing tools. A
$99 value (well, less if you don't actually need it. ;->).

JMHO, Michael

--
                   |I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships
Michael L. Kaufman |on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter

                   |be lost in time - like tears in rain. Time to die. Roy Batty

Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:24:46 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

: >[ Greg provides a sound algorithm for balancing cost vs. benefit ]
: >I've only been able to find two of them in /programr/msdn/jancd:
: >native.zip and natvbd.zip -- the native vb article and dll.
: >So far I can't seem to find the one on VB optimization/performance.
: >
: >Anyone else have a clue?

: I read the post about the articles, and within 15 seconds (since I
: generally keep the MSDN CD in my CD-rom drive) I had the articles up on
: the screen. Greg and Robert read the post and they still haven't seen the
: articles. I don't know how long you spent looking for the files, and I
: don't know how much you or Robert think your time is worth, but given the
: amount of useful content on the CD, and the corresponing amount of time I

: JMHO, Michael

Hello Michael,

TINAF.

Actually, I was the one who started this whole thing by posting a notice
about the articles I had just found on my copy of the Jan MSDN CD.

The article you quoted, above, was a reporting of my attempt to find
these articles on ftp.microsoft.com so that Greg and others could also
have a chance to read them without having to pay a lot of money.
How long did it take me to find them?  About 3 minutes, give or take
a minute.  I can afford a couple of bucks of my time for a fellow VB'er.
Anytime.

I long ago recognized the value of subscribing to the MSDN and use the
CD quite often.  Like yours, mine sits in my CD drive, ready to go.
The MS folks on the Developer's Network team are doing great work.
The disc gets better each quarter.  The search engine, alone, makes
using the CD a pleasure, and a sharp contrast to having to root around
on the ftp server -- definitely worth the not-so-modest cost of the
quarterly subscription.  Worth it to me.

But while I rave about it and urge others to subscribe, I readily
recognize that not everyone can afford it and even if they can, not
everyone would find useful all the non-VB material that dominates
the disc.

I applaud MS for making the bulk of the material freely available
to others (at least those with internet access) and would urge them
to re-organize the MSDN cd directories along the lines of the
hierarchy presented on the disc.  I hope they'll get around to
uploading Ken's Optimizing VB article, too.

Regards,

Robert Wallace

Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:53:11 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:
> : >So far I can't seem to find the one on VB optimization/performance.
> : >
> : >Anyone else have a clue?

try bscspe.zip in the jancd directory. The article is in a help file in
there. It contains loads of code that can't be run without a .DLL that
isn't in the .zip file but the article seems interesting. It includes
stuff about access basic and VBA in excel 5 and project 4 as well as VB3

Mike

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:54:37 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD
: > : >So far I can't seem to find the one on VB optimization/performance.
: > : >
: > : >Anyone else have a clue?

: try bscspe.zip in the jancd directory. The article is in a help file in
: there. It contains loads of code that can't be run without a .DLL that
: isn't in the .zip file but the article seems interesting. It includes
: stuff about access basic and VBA in excel 5 and project 4 as well as VB3

: Mike

Thats it Mike.  Thanks for finding it.  I just noticed that they've
completed the index.txt file which is a collection of all the articles'
abstracts.  That helps tremendously.

Now if I can just figure out what "bscspe" is supposed to stand for...

Robert Wallace

Tue, 15 Jul 1997 00:19:49 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:

> don't know how much you or Robert think your time is worth, but given the
> amount of useful content on the CD, and the corresponing amount of time I
> have saved because I had the disc right here, $195 is a perfectly
> reasonable amount for me to spend. Would I be happier if it was < $50?
cut...
> By the way, the January issue also includes the Access Upsizing tools. A
> $99 value (well, less if you don't actually need it. ;->).

The MSDN disks seem well worthwhile to subscribe to, but
does the above refer to MSDN Level 1 or to MSDN Level 2.

Being in the UK I can't judge from the price quote above.

Tia
--
ernest jacobs     at Noel Systems, near Kingston-upon-Thames (UK)

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:53:45 GMT
 Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD

Quote:
>The MSDN disks seem well worthwhile to subscribe to, but
>does the above refer to MSDN Level 1 or to MSDN Level 2.

>Being in the UK I can't judge from the price quote above.

All Knowledge Base articles are on Level 1. Level 2 subscription
also includes all SDKs, DDKs and Operating Systems except Windows
NT 3.5 Server (Windows NT 3.5 Workstation however is present).

MSDN Level 2 is 314.90 UK pounds (268+V.A.T.)
I can't remember the cost of the level 1 subscription (I think it is
somewhere around 150 pounds), but you can ask for information to be sent
to you by calling the freephone number 0800 96 02 79

Hope this helps,
regards,
David
--

                                    Compuserve: 100255,3373

Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:29:19 GMT

1. Tech Articles on (new) MSDN CD - Microsoft Responds

2. MSDN-CD article 67 - Resetting Focus after WinHelp

3. New article on porting ASP pages to ASP .NET available on MSDN

4. MSDN Download vs MSDN CDs

5. Announce: Windows Media Player control article on MSDN

6. Announce: Windows Media Player control article on MSDN

7. MSDN article - Death of the Browser

8. Print MSDN articles exceeds printed page width

9. MSDN Articles

10. Trying to find the MSDN Qnnnn article for this question

11. Can't read articles (MSDN) on the web

12. MSDN Articles