VB6 network drive - local drive bug
Author Message
 VB6 network drive - local drive bug

With VB6 Pro I created a simple filemanager (with filelistbox and
Dirlistbox). I've tested it at home and it works fine. At work (NT 4.0
clients, NetWare 4.11 network with namespaces) I tested it also - but I
found a very strange behaviour:

a file in a path that only contains pathnames <8 characters the filename is
shown correctly (long)

does the path contain (only one is enough) a pathname >8 the filenames in
the filelistbox are cut down to 8.3

Example:

G:\12345678\12345678\longfilename123.txt

results: longfilename123.txt in the filelistbox

G:\1234567890\12345678\longfilename123.txt

results: longfile.txt (8.3) because of the left part of the path
(1234567890)

Can someone explain that behaviour ?
Is this a bug (or a feature)?

Thank you very much

Sven Ryback

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to detect if drive is local or network drive

2. get drive size from network network mapped drives

3. Need help copying files from shared drive to local drive

4. local drive letter <> drive share name

5. What is network share name of local drive

6. acces to a local drive over a network

7. Show Local AND Shared (network) drives in Browseforfolder

8. mapping a network path over a local (used) drive

9. rename a drive / map network drive

10. Network drives in a drive list box control

11. Drive Listbox that works for network drive?

12. Determining if a Network Drive is a CD-ROM drive