Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs
Author Message
 Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs

Hi!

I'd really appreciate any ideas about the following:

I installed VB 4.0 professional edition on my win 3.11 (the 16 bit
version of course). VB loads but does the following things:

1. Won't run any sample project - it claims "INVALID CHARACTER"  on the
"=" character in the first line of code, which is for example:
Attribute VB_Name = "frmMain"

2. On a brand new project, after placing a button or a text box on the
form and asking to "view code", and selecting "command1" for example -
GPF in VBA2.DLL.

I installed three times so far. After the first two didn't help I
cleaned any mention of "\vb" from any windows file I could edit, trashed
everything that was part of VB (or old versions of VB, which I had on
the disk, sadly enough) from the windows and windows\system directories.
The behaviour described above is consistent. Other win 3.11 apps work
fine. I have nothing special installed - just the usuals.

Ideas, anyone???

Noam

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs

schreibt:

Quote:
>Attribute VB_Name = "frmMain"

That's new for VB4, so I think you're running an older VB version.

Are you really sure, that you're running VB4? Look at the Help menu for
the version. If the *.mak files are linked to your old VB3, it's used
instead of VB4. Rename *.mak to *.vbp, then VB4 should start when you
double click the project file. Or put a link to VB4 on your desktop, and
drop the project file on it. This way I start VB3, VB4/16, VB4/32 and VB5.

Also if VB3 is running, an attempt to run VB4 will fail, because the
module names of both versions are the same, and VB3 doesn't allow for a
second instance.

DoDi

Tue, 11 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: VB4 on Win 3.11 GPF in VBA2.DLL and won't run sample progs

Hi!
I checked all that. I actually searched my hard disk for any mention of
an older version or older directory where the old VB version was
installed - and found nothing.

Furthermore - I installed with the same disks on another machine and it
works fine, and the only visible difference is that I have a Windows
3.11 with Hebrew language support, whereas the other computer has an
English-only version.

Anyway, thanx very much for your suggestions!
Noam

Quote:

> schreibt:

> >Attribute VB_Name = "frmMain"

> That's new for VB4, so I think you're running an older VB version.

> Are you really sure, that you're running VB4? Look at the Help menu for
> the version. If the *.mak files are linked to your old VB3, it's used
> instead of VB4. Rename *.mak to *.vbp, then VB4 should start when you
> double click the project file. Or put a link to VB4 on your desktop, and
> drop the project file on it. This way I start VB3, VB4/16, VB4/32 and VB5.

> Also if VB3 is running, an attempt to run VB4 will fail, because the
> module names of both versions are the same, and VB3 doesn't allow for a
> second instance.

> DoDi

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Moving from Win 3.11 to Win NT ?'s

2. HELP runtime error whilst running VB with Win 3.11

3. Help: Strange VB4.0 in Win 3.11 problem

4. VB3:Properties change when created in Win 3.11 and transferred to Win 95

5. win 95 vs win 3.11 on number of controls

6. Win 95 and Win 3.11 Programs

7. Running the EXE file in Win 3.11,win95

8. MAPI, VB4 & Win 3.11

9. MAPI, VB4 & Win 3.11

10. Win 3.11, VB4 16Bit and an out of memory error

11. Running the EXE file in Win 3.11,win95

12. How to run VB 3.0/Win 3.11 and VB 4.0/Win95 on same PC