Designing with Efficiency In mind
Author Message
 Designing with Efficiency In mind

Hi there,

I have read numerous books on software analysis and design, most authors
ramble on about the concept of designing with efficiency in mind, but none
of them actually go into detail about what tools or methods can be applied
to analyse the efficiency of a design before coding it.

I know that math (Big O algorithm analysis can be used), there must be other
non math tools that can be applied. Normally when i develop software, i like
to code the design and then profile it.

just curious as to how other programmers perform this art.

Gary

Wed, 03 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Designing with Efficiency In mind
The academic stuff is great, but in the real world -- well lets say have yet
to find a real use.  Most business application do not have real-time needs
so you have to ask what is that you are try to make better or faster!

My first priority is not efficiency.  My first priority is stability.  Once
the application is stable, I go back and see what parts are really slow.
Sometimes it is just one or two sections of the system that need to be
tweaked.  I follow the advice for each particular language/compiler as to
what is faster but that is about it.  The first question you have to answer
is "What does efficiency mean?"  In a database application that may mean
tuning your SQL.  In an engineering application, that might mean FFT.  I
like to think globally and optimize locally.  Eeking out every single msec
from an application has never been very big on my list unless it was a
programming requirement.

My 32bits,

Enzo

Quote:
>Hi there,

>I have read numerous books on software analysis and design, most authors
>ramble on about the concept of designing with efficiency in mind, but none
>of them actually go into detail about what tools or methods can be applied
>to analyse the efficiency of a design before coding it.

>I know that math (Big O algorithm analysis can be used), there must be
other
>non math tools that can be applied. Normally when i develop software, i
like
>to code the design and then profile it.

>just curious as to how other programmers perform this art.

>Gary

Thu, 04 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic and software Design/Efficiency

2. General Programming/Design/Efficiency with VB

3. Mind.VB initial translation/port of Mind.Forth PD AI

4. project design software , compare website design software , web developers , website design software review , nof shop , software quality , nof 7.5 , bestellen preisvergleich , web site design , custom web design ,

5. MainMenu does not show in design mode when Form1.vb[Design] has focus

6. VB Design - None OO design Approach

7. M = Design(x,y,z) /vs/ Design x,y,z

8. VBE in User Designed Control Design Mode

9. MSFlexgrid Design at Design Time?

10. Assign a treeview at design run time to other at design time

11. 3 (4) tier Design / OO-Design

12. How to design GridCtrl at design time