VB6 SP5 project size limit with WinXP?
Author Message
 VB6 SP5 project size limit with WinXP?

I have a large (by my standards) VB6 project, which currently has -

Forms - 76
Modules - 46
Class Modules - 31

I have WinXP Pro on the PC I use for development.

Yesterday I started to get a problem where I could run it once in the
IDE, but the second time it would always crash as "Compiling..." was
showing, and the WinXP "Visual Basic has encountered a problem..." would
window appear. The reported error was always -

AppName: vb6.exe         AppVer: 6.0.89.88       ModName: vba6.dll
ModVer: 6.0.0.8964       Offset: 0001b05c

I tried the same project in Win98SE, and the problem did not occur.

When the problem started to occur, I had added another module to the
project, making 47, so I removed that module and put the code that was
in it into an existing module. The problem went away.

I then added a dummy module to the project, and the problem started to
occur again.

I tried removing all the IDE add-ins, but it made no difference.

I tried adding a dummy form, and that did not cause the problem, but
adding a dummy class module did.

So I appear to have hit a problem with this particular project where I
cannot add any more code modules. Has anyone else seen anything like
this when running VB6 in WinXP?

--

Boston, UK

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:52:42 GMT
 VB6 SP5 project size limit with WinXP?
That is an interesting one

I had something similar with VB5 SP3 a feww months ago, the project
was not that large, however the compiler (native and PCode) would
break in just one module - a UserControl

When I shuffled the code around the problem disappeared
... something is ringing bells, I've just checked, I moved code out of
the Initialize event and put it in an explicit Call
   Public Sub Setup()

There was nothing strange about the code.
It did set up quite a lot of data ...

XP is probably a bit more sensitive to memory problems Win9x
- so it is possible that you have encountered a glitch in the compiler
or Linker

Since VB only includes code that it knows it is going to use, the
'map' of the EXE is heavily influenced by the order of calls to
routines that it finds.

I suggest that you shunt things around a bit - especially stuff in the
Initialise events - but ... back up first ...

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:52:42 +0100, Roger Barker

Quote:

>I have a large (by my standards) VB6 project, which currently has -

>Forms - 76
>Modules - 46
>Class Modules - 31

>I have WinXP Pro on the PC I use for development.

>Yesterday I started to get a problem where I could run it once in the
>IDE, but the second time it would always crash as "Compiling..." was
>showing, and the WinXP "Visual Basic has encountered a problem..." would
>window appear. The reported error was always -

>AppName: vb6.exe         AppVer: 6.0.89.88       ModName: vba6.dll
>ModVer: 6.0.0.8964       Offset: 0001b05c

>I tried the same project in Win98SE, and the problem did not occur.

>When the problem started to occur, I had added another module to the
>project, making 47, so I removed that module and put the code that was
>in it into an existing module. The problem went away.

>I then added a dummy module to the project, and the problem started to
>occur again.

>I tried removing all the IDE add-ins, but it made no difference.

>I tried adding a dummy form, and that did not cause the problem, but
>adding a dummy class module did.

>So I appear to have hit a problem with this particular project where I
>cannot add any more code modules. Has anyone else seen anything like
>this when running VB6 in WinXP?

>--

>Boston, UK

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:49:41 GMT
 VB6 SP5 project size limit with WinXP?

Quote:
>I have a large (by my standards) VB6 project, which currently has -

>Forms - 76
>Modules - 46
>Class Modules - 31

>I have WinXP Pro on the PC I use for development.

>Yesterday I started to get a problem where I could run it once in the
>IDE, but the second time it would always crash as "Compiling..." was
>showing, and the WinXP "Visual Basic has encountered a problem..." would
>window appear. The reported error was always -

>AppName: vb6.exe         AppVer: 6.0.89.88       ModName: vba6.dll
>ModVer: 6.0.0.8964       Offset: 0001b05c

>I tried the same project in Win98SE, and the problem did not occur.

>When the problem started to occur, I had added another module to the
>project, making 47, so I removed that module and put the code that was
>in it into an existing module. The problem went away.

>I then added a dummy module to the project, and the problem started to
>occur again.

>I tried removing all the IDE add-ins, but it made no difference.

>I tried adding a dummy form, and that did not cause the problem, but
>adding a dummy class module did.

>So I appear to have hit a problem with this particular project where I
>cannot add any more code modules. Has anyone else seen anything like
>this when running VB6 in WinXP?

Sorry to reply to my own message, but -

I've still got the problem, except it is now worse.   :-(

I removed a module from the project, by putting the code in it into
another module, but I still cannot add any more code modules. Even
adding a dummy module with nothing in it except a single Const,
statement to make sure it is compiled, causes the crash to occur.

--

Boston, UK

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:37:19 GMT

1. WinXP & VB6 (sp5) compatibility

2. mswinsck.ocx VB6(SP5) - progs won't work with WinXP

3. mswinsck.ocx VB6(SP5) - progs won't work with WinXP

4. Can't Add Common Control to A Project-VB6 SP5

5. Using Data Project in VB6 sp5

6. VB project size limit

7. VB project size limit

8. VB6 SP5 not compatible with pre SP5???

9. Application size limits in VB6.0

10. VB6 - SP5 exe generates drWatson during OLE communication with VB6 - SP3 exe

11. Size of Controls limited by Form Size ?

12. Size of Controls limited by Form Size ?