Switching from inhouse software to canned package.
Author Message
 Switching from inhouse software to canned package.

Oh that's wonderful......
Let's let the technology drive the operations.....
Garbage!

Technology should enhance operations not hamstring it.

--
***_________________________________________***
For programming, training and internet based training visit

Quote:

>Our company wants to switch from inhouse software (written on a VAX) to an
>ERP package called Encore. We are a semiconductor processor and distributor
>and have about 100 users. At first we were going to gradually going switch
>over from the VAX to VB but now management want to use this canned package
>instead. At first I thought there is no way a package will work because out
>requirements are so specialized, but now I'm starting to like the idea
>because it will force the users to adapt to a simpler system. I think we
>have been using the inhouse system for so long that the users are getting
>out of hand with their requirements. You know, stuff like "Could you make
>it so that when John enters an order on a Thursday it automatically prints
>out to Bldg 2 instead of Bldg 3?" And then a year later I invariably get
>this question, "How come when John enters an order sometimes it prints to
>bldg2 and sometime it prints to bldg3?" The point is that a canned package
>will force them to stay within certain guidlines and the overall system
>will be easier to manage. The question is will the canned package even come
>close to meeting our basic requirements?

>Any thoughts?

>Chuck.

Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Passing switches to a package ??

2. REQ: OTC Software Package fro product upload

3. Good statistical software package for the Mac

4. Packaging and Deployment of Software

5. Wanted: ASP portal software package

6. OpenProcess failed on Inhouse application service.

7. How do I create a canned form?

8. Canned AcctReceivable Module needed!

9. Canned pages....

11. Crystal Reports Canned Code