VB programmer turns C++ programmer
Author Message
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Well, I think it'll be easier to learn C++ than to unlearn VB.
(I may be wrong, maybe you can forget things easily.)

How are you trying to learn it? From books? Do you learn well from books?
If so, try different ones. I've heard people moving from VB->C++ having
success with everything from C++ for Dummies to Lippman's C++ Primer or
Stroustrup's Book.

If you enjoy an informal "walk-through" then C++ for Dummies may be your
best bet.  If you like a quicky on the basics and then being catapulted
into the advanced topics, then Lippman or Stroustrup is the way to go.

Good luck,
Brand

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer
I'm a VB programmer and just spent around $250 on books for learning
C++.  All of them assume either no prior knowledge of C++ or assume at
least limited knowledge of C.  None of them relate to the VB programmer.
Strange thing is, there are a lot of books out there that teach you VB
that cater towards C/C++ programmers.

Is there a web site out there that describes things a VB programmer
needs to know as he/she learns C++, to make the learning curve less
bumpy?  Like, what things to remember, and what things to throw out... I
pretty much understand what little I've studied so far, but the language
as a whole just seems so foreign to me.

I know that with VB being such a high-level language, knowing VB gets me
{*filter*}ed to some fairly bad habits in programming, making it difficult
to be wary of resources and memory usage, etc., and particularly taking
Microsoft's mis-implementation of OOP as being "Interfaces"...   Would
it have been better if I hadn't learned VB first at all?

Jon Davis

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:
> I'm a VB programmer and just spent around $250 on books for learning
> C++.  All of them assume either no prior knowledge of C++ or assume at
> least limited knowledge of C.  None of them relate to the VB programmer.
> Strange thing is, there are a lot of books out there that teach you VB
> that cater towards C/C++ programmers.

> Is there a web site out there that describes things a VB programmer
> needs to know as he/she learns C++, to make the learning curve less
> bumpy?  Like, what things to remember, and what things to throw out... I
> pretty much understand what little I've studied so far, but the language
> as a whole just seems so foreign to me.

> I know that with VB being such a high-level language, knowing VB gets me
> {*filter*}ed to some fairly bad habits in programming, making it difficult
> to be wary of resources and memory usage, etc., and particularly taking
> Microsoft's mis-implementation of OOP as being "Interfaces"...   Would
> it have been better if I hadn't learned VB first at all?

> Jon Davis

<Jack>

And if the majority of answers indicate that you would have been better off if
you hadn't learned the alleged Visual Basic language first, what will you do
about it?  A partial lobotomy to remove it from your memory?

</Jack>

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:
><Jack>

>And if the majority of answers indicate that you would have been better
off if
>you hadn't learned the alleged Visual Basic language first, what will
you do
>about it?  A partial lobotomy to remove it from your memory?

></Jack>

Heh, no, but the mindset in approaching programming in C++ can be either
in relation to what I have already learned with VB or it can be in
ignoring what I have learned in VB and treating the language as though
it were my first language.

Jon

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer
I would not try to learn C++ by relating concepts and details to VB if I
were a VB user learning C++.. I would relearn as if it was my first
language.

DW

Quote:

> ><Jack>

> >And if the majority of answers indicate that you would have been better
> off if
> >you hadn't learned the alleged Visual Basic language first, what will
> you do
> >about it?  A partial lobotomy to remove it from your memory?

> ></Jack>

> Heh, no, but the mindset in approaching programming in C++ can be either
> in relation to what I have already learned with VB or it can be in
> ignoring what I have learned in VB and treating the language as though
> it were my first language.

> Jon

> ><Jack>

> >And if the majority of answers indicate that you would have been better
> off if
> >you hadn't learned the alleged Visual Basic language first, what will
> you do
> >about it?  A partial lobotomy to remove it from your memory?

> ></Jack>

> Heh, no, but the mindset in approaching programming in C++ can be either
> in relation to what I have already learned with VB or it can be in
> ignoring what I have learned in VB and treating the language as though
> it were my first language.

> Jon

Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:
>Heh, no, but the mindset in approaching programming in C++ can be either
>in relation to what I have already learned with VB or it can be in
>ignoring what I have learned in VB and treating the language as though
>it were my first language.

I went from QuickBASIC, to Visual Basic, to powerbasic, to C, to C++.  I learned C++ as if
it were my first language.

--
Quinn Tyler Jackson

url: http://www.qtj.net/~quinn/
ftp: qtj.net

"... it is wrong to say that a good language is important to thought, merely;
for it is the essence of it."  -- Charles Sanders Peirce

Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:
>> Microsoft's mis-implementation of OOP as being "Interfaces"...   Would
>> it have been better if I hadn't learned VB first at all?

>> Jon Davis

>No.  You are better off knowing VB.

Hey, besides, for all the bad habits one can pick up from VB, it's a lot of
fun. ;-)

Keith P. Boruff

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:

>Hey, besides, for all the bad habits one can pick up from VB, it's a lot of
>fun. ;-)

Now here is a sensible post. Having fun is the MOST important factor in
programming.
Even more so when it is new to you

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer
Bad Programming Habits are not restricted to VB as they can
apply to any and all languages. It's just more *FUN* in some than
it is in others trying to figure out what, how, why, where, etc...
that things kind of fell apart... Prozak (sp?) AnyOne 8*T
--
Have a good day.
Don

Quote:

> >Hey, besides, for all the bad habits one can pick up from VB, it's a lot
of
> >fun. ;-)

> Now here is a sensible post. Having fun is the MOST important factor in
> programming.
> Even more so when it is new to you

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

solutions.com says...
[snip]
Quote:
> > Microsoft's mis-implementation of OOP as being "Interfaces"...   Would
> > it have been better if I hadn't learned VB first at all?
> > Jon Davis

> No.  You are better off knowing VB.

Hmmm. I'm sure I'm reading this as "VB is a good thing". I would have to
agree to some extent. VB allows you to get an application up and running
very quickly. But the saturation point for VB is quick to realize. I am a
proponent of "knowing many languages".  A language such as C++ can take
you much further, and you are more "marketable" and can command more
compensation with C++ experience than with VB. My languages of choice
follows, in order of preference:
C++,  C
Java,  Eiffel
Smalltalk
Modula-3

Other languages I do for exercise and practice. I dont do VB or
PowerBuilder, etc. I could, I realize, realize more productivity, but I
dont want to be tied to the tree so to speak. I am more apt to use
SilverStream or NetDynamics for "4GL" work - mainly because the projects
that are realized are multi-tier, browser-based systems.

[snip]

--
<<<<<<<<<<  Blue Skies  >>>>>>>>>>>
<        Michael J. Tobler        >

< remove "no-spam-" when replying >
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:
> Bad Programming Habits are not restricted to VB as they can
> apply to any and all languages. It's just more *FUN* in some than
> it is in others trying to figure out what, how, why, where, etc...
> that things kind of fell apart... Prozak (sp?) AnyOne 8*T

BUT - for some people, such as myself, it's FUN to "figure out what, how,
why, where, etc...".  I am interested in being able to drop down to a
lower level if I want to. And, sometimes, it's warranted.

--
<<<<<<<<<<  Blue Skies  >>>>>>>>>>>
<        Michael J. Tobler        >

< remove "no-spam-" when replying >
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

cit.demon.co.uk says...
[snip]

Quote:
> >Java,  Eiffel
> >Smalltalk
> >Modula-3
> Never tried any...

> wot no assembler ?
> 680x0 (now, thats fun)

I've always enjoyed coding in assembly, but I figured if I mentioned that
in here, everyone would think I was wacko.  In the days of yesteryear, I
made excuses to code for the bottlenecks (even if they werent there) so I
could drop down to assembly  :)

--
<<<<<<<<<<  Blue Skies  >>>>>>>>>>>
<        Michael J. Tobler        >

< remove "no-spam-" when replying >
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB programmer turns C++ programmer

Quote:

>solutions.com says...
>[snip]
>> > Microsoft's mis-implementation of OOP as being "Interfaces"...   Would
>> > it have been better if I hadn't learned VB first at all?
>> > Jon Davis

>> No.  You are better off knowing VB.
>Hmmm. I'm sure I'm reading this as "VB is a good thing". I would have to
>agree to some extent. VB allows you to get an application up and running
>very quickly. But the saturation point for VB is quick to realize. I am a
>proponent of "knowing many languages".

Knowing delphi is a good inbetween step from VB to C++.  Visual Object
Pascal, which has a similar feel as C++,  plus you can drop things on
forms like VB and compile into a stand-alone EXE.etc.

Quote:
>A language such as C++ can take
>you much further, and you are more "marketable" and can command more
>compensation with C++ experience than with VB. My languages of choice
>follows, in order of preference:
>C++,  C

I'll add delphi in here please

Quote:
>Java,  Eiffel
>Smalltalk
>Modula-3

Never tried any...

wot no assembler ?

680x0 (now, thats fun)

<snipped>

Jim M

Tue, 17 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Is VB programmer is reall programmer?

2. C Programmers, help a VB programmer here!

3. newbie vb question from c++ programmer

4. C++ for VB programmers

5. IN NEED OF VB,C++, OR JAVA PROGRAMMERS

6. Need VB & C++ Programmers

7. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter

8. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter

9. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter

10. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter

11. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter

12. US-CO-Denver-VB/C++ Programmer in Denver-Recruiter