vb app over internet with SQL or com?
Author Message
 vb app over internet with SQL or com?

I have created a web application using SQL Server, com components and
ASP pages that call those components.  It is a fully functional web
application.  I can view, add , edit or delete data in the database
using this web app.

What I want to do is create a desktop application that provides the
exact same funtionality as the web app.  I want the desktop client to
access my web server to view, add, edit or delete data on my SQL Server.

I have investigated a couple of options with this.  I found out that I
can expose the exact same components I am using for the web app over
HTTP using com internet services (I am using NT 4.0 Server here).  I
have read that this is not a very desirable way to do things.  I heard
that security is an issue. I also have the concern that transfering a
recordset may be too much data so I started investigating XML and the
new SQL Server 2000.

I have ruled out Queries through the URL (was told that should NOT be
used on production server due to security concerns). I have been told I
could use templates or schemas to give me an xml stream, but how to I
get it to my vb client?

Essentially I have 2 options.  Get access to the com components through
some type of remote access(DCOM?) or to retrieve XML data from the
webserver.

What do you think?  Should I use a recordset or use XML?  I have issues
of syncronicity.  I want the user to be able to use the web app or the
desktop app with the exact same funtionality and be able to maintain
data throughout any process.  Data must be up to date at any second
regarless of whatever application is using or maniputlating it.

Sorry this post is so long but I haven't been able to get a firm answer
from the people I know.  I just want to develop something that will be
fast but won't compromise the syncronicity.

...Gary

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:54:10 GMT
 vb app over internet with SQL or com?
It's probably a good idea to look at where MS is going with their
technology when making design decisions these days.  XML seems to
be the new standard for MS - on the internet or not.  SQL Server 2000
has "native XML support" whatever that means, then there's the hype
about "SOAP" and interoperability between languages and platforms,
ADO+ (the next revision of ADO technology) is supposed to be
XML-based, and everything new from MS seems to be linked to the web.

If I were you (and had written a nice ASP application) I would ask
myself why I would need to spend the time rewriting the front end.
Why can't your users use a browser to pull up your application?
This would eliminate deployment hassles and machine-specific problems.
Don't get me wrong, in my opinion VB is the best language around
and developing with the rich functionality of ocxs is nice, but the
next thing (and MS seems to agree) is internet, cross platform XML.

I would look into "webservices" if I needed what you do...

Good luck (the above is just my humble opinion ; )
--
Ali Tahbaz, MCSD
SightSource Creations Inc.

Quote:
> I have created a web application using SQL Server, com components and
> ASP pages that call those components.  It is a fully functional web
> application.  I can view, add , edit or delete data in the database
> using this web app.

> What I want to do is create a desktop application that provides the
> exact same funtionality as the web app.  I want the desktop client to
> access my web server to view, add, edit or delete data on my SQL
Server.

> I have investigated a couple of options with this.  I found out that I
> can expose the exact same components I am using for the web app over
> HTTP using com internet services (I am using NT 4.0 Server here).  I
> have read that this is not a very desirable way to do things.  I heard
> that security is an issue. I also have the concern that transfering a
> recordset may be too much data so I started investigating XML and the
> new SQL Server 2000.

> I have ruled out Queries through the URL (was told that should NOT be
> used on production server due to security concerns). I have been told
> could use templates or schemas to give me an xml stream, but how to I
> get it to my vb client?

> Essentially I have 2 options.  Get access to the com components
through
> some type of remote access(DCOM?) or to retrieve XML data from the
> webserver.

> What do you think?  Should I use a recordset or use XML?  I have
issues
> of syncronicity.  I want the user to be able to use the web app or the
> desktop app with the exact same funtionality and be able to maintain
> data throughout any process.  Data must be up to date at any second
> regarless of whatever application is using or maniputlating it.

> Sorry this post is so long but I haven't been able to get a firm
answer
> from the people I know.  I just want to develop something that will be
> fast but won't compromise the syncronicity.

> ...Gary

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 vb app over internet with SQL or com?
There are many reasons to have both versions.  One big one is that a vb
application provides alot more ability than a web app and I personally
don't like web apps.

I did not even ask whether I should do both I'm stating I AM GOING to
do both. Not everyone is freaked out about distribution or downloads so
it will not be easier if I do a web app.

Who said my users cannot use the web application?  I didn't! I said I
want to give them the choice.

Who said I need to eliminate deployment hassles?

Machine dependancy? I didn't say I was writing an app for Mac users or
for Linux.  I am in a VB forum.  THAT MEANS WINDOWS!!!!!!!!

I am very aware of everything that MS is doing.  I am asking what is
the best way to develop the app.  By using a recordset or by
transferring xml that's all.  DID YOU EVEN READ MY POSTING?  I don't
think you did.

There are many ways to do what I want to do I just want other people's
opinion as to what would be the best way to do it.

...Gary

Quote:
> [...]

> > Essentially I have 2 options.  Get access to the com components
> through
> > some type of remote access(DCOM?) or to retrieve XML data from the
> > webserver.

> > What do you think?  Should I use a recordset or use XML?  I have
> issues
> > of syncronicity.  I want the user to be able to use the web app or
the
> > desktop app with the exact same funtionality and be able to maintain
> > data throughout any process.  Data must be up to date at any second
> > regarless of whatever application is using or maniputlating it.

> > Sorry this post is so long but I haven't been able to get a firm
> answer
> > from the people I know.  I just want to develop something that will
be
> > fast but won't compromise the syncronicity.

1. Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM

2. Building app that connects to a SQL-server and update records through the Internet

3. VB COM Objects from a VB App

4. VB COM (web app) Critique

5. Help-- Problem with Sharing data betweeb a VC++ COM and a VB app

6. convert VB app to com

7. ATL COM callback to VB App

8. VB app crashes when using COM DLLs

9. ?Access same COM port from 2 VB apps?

10. ?Access same COM port from 2 VB apps?

11. Accessing ATL COM object from V.S. 2003 Embedded VB.NET app

12. Closing internet explorer from a VB app