VB applications and system tray - help!
Author Message
 VB applications and system tray - help!

I'm pretty much of a newcomer to VB(6.00), although not to BASIC or to
programming generally.

I'm currently working on my first project of any size, having gone
through the experimenting stage, and although I still have a lot to
learn, I am, I think beginning to get an inkling or two.

But I seem to be unable to track down any Help info on my query - as
follows:

How do I persuade my application to display an icon in the System tray
on running, as opposed ot opening its main form window immediately?

Any help/information gratefully received, even if it's a pointer to
the appropriate topic in the help documentation.

Christina

--
Christina West

Web: www.argonet.co.uk/users/xina
'xina' on IRC

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB applications and system tray - help!
Christina ,
Here are a few links to get you started.  You won't find anything in the VB
help on this;-(
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q149/2/76.asp
HOWTO: Use Icons with the Windows 95 and Windows 98 System Tray
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/   (search on Systray)
Manipulating System Tray Icons using Shell_NotifyIcon
Manipulating System Tray Icons using Shell_NotifyIcon, Advanced Related
Topics
And Karl Peterson's site http://www.mvps.org/vb/  Tray.zip

Neila

Quote:

>I'm pretty much of a newcomer to VB(6.00), although not to BASIC or to
>programming generally.

>I'm currently working on my first project of any size, having gone
>through the experimenting stage, and although I still have a lot to
>learn, I am, I think beginning to get an inkling or two.

>But I seem to be unable to track down any Help info on my query - as
>follows:

>How do I persuade my application to display an icon in the System tray
>on running, as opposed ot opening its main form window immediately?

>Any help/information gratefully received, even if it's a pointer to
>the appropriate topic in the help documentation.

>Christina

>--
>Christina West

>Web: www.argonet.co.uk/users/xina
>'xina' on IRC

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB applications and system tray - help!

this isn't my answer as you can see, but LEE WEINER has a great website with
your answer. i posted HIS reply to a question similar to yours.
 <<< Go to my web page and download TRAYICON.ZIP.  It has the example code you
need.

Lee Weiner
weiner AT fuse DOT net
http://home.fuse.net/lweiner  >>>

Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB applications and system tray - help!

Quote:
>How do I persuade my application to display an icon in the System tray
>on running, as opposed ot opening its main form window immediately?

>Any help/information gratefully received, even if it's a pointer to
>the appropriate topic in the help documentation.

Many thanks, Neila and jrocks11.  I've downloaded the stuff you
mention and am getting my head round it... or trying to! :)

Christina

--
Christina West

Web: www.argonet.co.uk/users/xina
'xina' on IRC

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB applications and system tray - help!

  Hello,
  I am mostly a VC++/Java programmer, and the following site has lots of
  code examples which could be of help. Note that these sample code are
  in VC++, which I believe could be modified appropriately(I have not
  tried it) to run under VB.
  http://www.codeguru.com/win32/tasktrayframework.shtml
  http://www.codeguru.com/shell/systemtray.shtml
  Hope that helps.

Quote:

> I'm pretty much of a newcomer to VB(6.00), although not to BASIC or to
> programming generally.

> I'm currently working on my first project of any size, having gone
> through the experimenting stage, and although I still have a lot to
> learn, I am, I think beginning to get an inkling or two.

> But I seem to be unable to track down any Help info on my query - as
> follows:

> How do I persuade my application to display an icon in the System tray
> on running, as opposed ot opening its main form window immediately?

> Any help/information gratefully received, even if it's a pointer to
> the appropriate topic in the help documentation.

> Christina

> --
> Christina West

> Web: www.argonet.co.uk/users/xina
> 'xina' on IRC

Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB applications running in the System Tray?

2. Any application in system tray--help needed

3. Q: Problems with System Tray functionality in VB5 and question about TaskBar/System Tray

4. CoolHide - Help you hide/minimize window to Tray and hide icons from the system tray

5. CoolHide - Help you hide/minimize window to Tray and hide icons from the system tray

6. System Tray application

7. How to build an application that sits only in the system tray

8. Application -> start in system tray

9. Minimizing an Application to the System Tray...

10. Iconizing application to system tray

11. system tray - modifying icons belonging to other applications

12. activate an application in the system tray