access 97 and multiple field index
Author Message
 access 97 and multiple field index

I have an app I'm working on in VB 6 using an Access database.  I have a table
in my database that needs to be keyed off of two fields. The first is a 10
character text field called lognum and the second is an integer field called
splitnum. The reason I need the multiple field keys is there can be multiple
split number (splitnum) records that correspond to the same log number
(lognum)......(.IE - lognum 0123456789, splitnum 1.....lognum 0123456789,
splitnum 2, etc).

Here's my problem:
Assume XLOGNUM holds the value of the LOGNUM field I'm seeking and XSPLITNUM
holds the value of the SPLITNUM field I'm seeking.

When I use [recordset.seek "=", xlognum, xsplitnum]  it will not find my record
even tho it does exist. If I use [recordset.seek ">=", xlognum] it moves to the
correct lognum record and the first splitnum record for that lognum.

I can code around the direct seeking of the record by using the ">=" operator
and then moving to the next record until the proper splitnum is found, but it's
really a pain to have to do this. Does anyone else have this problem and/or
know why it's there?

I created the database using Visual Data Manager 6.0 that came with my Visual
Studio 6.0, and I have applied SP 3 to the entire studio.

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Dan

Thu, 14 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie - Access 97 - Full Name Field into 2 or three different fields

2. How to relate a field to another field in the same Access 97 table

3. corrupted index in Access 97

4. Problem with setting INDEX on FoxPro table in Access 97

5. Lets talk indexing - Access 97

6. Recordset index problem Word 97 & Access 2000

7. Access 97 indexes using asp file

8. Accessing empty/null Memo Fields in a Access 97

9. remove index from field or delete a indexed field

10. Adding Field to Access db - need to make indexed property of field No Duplicates

11. Access 97 multiple standard modules

12. Import Multiple 98 Project Files to Access 97