VB6 Package and deployment wizard
Author Message
 VB6 Package and deployment wizard

I apologise in advance for the length of this note, but there are a few
features in the VB6 set-up which I would like to share with you.?
?
The set-up wizard no longer compresses the DLL's and OCX's used by your VB
application into separate files.? Instead it builds them into a CAB file
which is then used by the set-up program.? The use of a CAB file is OK, but
you need to be aware that the first thing the set-up program does is copy
the CAB to the client's Windows directory from where it unpacks it into a
temporary directory for deployment.? So in effect you must ensure that the
client PC has at least twice as much available disk space.? The set-up
program does not seem to check that there is sufficient space available on
the client machine.? So the first thing you would know about it is when you
get an error message saying it can't find your files in the temporary
directory.? This will be because there has not been enough disk space to
unpack them.
?
Another feature, if your set-up fails e.g. due to a network failure, then
the CAB file is not removed.? When you then rerun the set-up it checks to
see if the CAB file is there and does not copy it again.? Again this is OK,
but if the CAB has not been copied completely the first time or is corrupt
your set-up will fail with any number of seemingly unrelated error
messages.? Also if you change the CAB file in any way, e.g. add an OCX, then
your set-up will fail because it can't find the OCX, because it is still
looking in the CAB file in the Windows directory.? The lesson therefore is to
always remove the CAB file if a set-up fails.
?
The set-up is still driven by a set-up.lst file which contains the
components to be deployed and their destinations.? The components are now
split into two main sections within this file.? The system files are
contained in a Bootstrap section and the set-up checks the client for the
correct versions of these before proceeding to the OCX and DLL's for the
application.? If any of these system files require updating then the set-up
installs them and asks you to reboot.? You then need to rerun the set-up
again to install the application components.? I have found that in some
instances the msvbvm60.dll which is the vbrun400.dll equivalent is not
included in the system files listed in the set-up.lst file and I have had to
add it manually and rebuild the CAB, if you don't then the set-up of the
application components will fail.
?
Nearly finish, just one last point.? If you want to distribute the MS
Calendar control there is a bug in the wizard which gets puts an incorrect
entry for this component into the set-up.lst file.? The clause
DLLSelfRegister is incorrectly written as DLLSelfRegisterEX which is not
recognised by the set-up program.? So you will have to manually change this
every time you run the wizard.
?
I hope these points will save you some time.

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Package and deployment wizard
Is there anything I should be careful of just programming using the standard
controls in VB when using the P&D Wizard to distribute it? Besides the
things you mentioned.

Derek

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB6 Package and deployment wizard
Hi Derek,

See my web page at http://www.teeitup.com/vbbugs.htm.

David L. Beckwith

Quote:
> Is there anything I should be careful of just programming using the
standard
> controls in VB when using the P&D Wizard to distribute it? Besides the
> things you mentioned.

> Derek

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. vb6 package and deployment wizard problem

2. Problem in VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

3. VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

4. vb6 package and deployment wizard problems

5. A solution to VB6 PACKAGE and DEPLOYMENT wizard

6. vb6 package and deployment wizard problems

7. VB6 package and deployment wizard woes

8. vb6 package and deployment wizard

9. VB6 Package and deployment wizard

10. vb6 package and deployment wizard problems

11. Client setup using VB6 Package and Deployment Wizard

12. about the Package and Deployment Wizard (VB6)