Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?
Author Message
 Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?

Hi
I am working on NT 4.0, VB 4.0 also, and trying to develop a function that
will be able to format the RTF control properly by the settings of the
printer. It all works fine to get settings by Printer.Print "" when printer
is on-line (i am using a network printer), but when printer is not, i get
realy {*filter*} crash. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Sat, 20 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?

Sorry no answers simply 'me too'! (VB4 pro, 32bit, Win95).

I currently store default values for the margins and offsets in
a database 'settings' table and set up my RTB using these.
This is OK until a new printer is added etc when a new
entry is made for the new printer.

My problem is that I would really like to get these values (the offsets)
at runtime but cannot stop a blank page being printed after the
printer.print " " command is given to initialise the printer
and get its hDC. Killdoc does not stop it - maybe its in the
printer control area (HP 850C inkjet) as to how printing is
started - I'm looking at this now. Hence the similarity with
your problem.

In the meantime if anyone has an answer, I too would be grateful.

Quote:

--
frank bainbridge
eds ltd

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?

Hi Frank!
I got some help from Dave Parsons (to whom all my thanks are going). I
figured out a way, not sure is it going to work with EVERY kind of printer,
but its working on two (HP 4M and HP 5L) I've tried.
I have put a complete code of small excersice application called
RTFNotepad, that I have tried it on. Hope that it would be of some help to
you all guys that are having the same problem :-) Its mostly based on
Microsofts WYSIWYG example for RTF, it has it's crashes, well, it's still
under construction (if you take a look at it you will know what I am
talking about).
Thanks again to Dave Parsons
Daniel

begin 600 Notepad.ZIP
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

Sun, 21 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem setting the active printer of Word 97 without changing the Windows default printer

2. Printing to COM serial Printer without using Printer Control

3. How I can select a printer like defauld printer without using CommonDialog Control

4. printing without printer settings dialog

5. Setting up printers without print dialog.

6. Setting a specific size of paper without printer

7. Use MS Office Document Image Write without setting is as a standard printer

8. Get Printer settings WITHOUT Print

9. Changing Printers (was Re: Getz code error/setting printer info)

10. page faults trying to get printer settings from two printers

11. A HOW-TO: Setting Printer fonts: WAS Printer fonts

12. Printer Dialog sets System Wide Printer settings....