memory resident database
Author Message
 memory resident database

Hi,

Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?

Any pointers would be great.

TIA,

Will

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 memory resident database

Quote:
>Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
>a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?

We do this since DOS - no problem if you have enough memory :-)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 memory resident database

Wouldn't that be an array?

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:36:47 GMT
 memory resident database

Quote:

> >Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
> >a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?

> We do this since DOS - no problem if you have enough memory :-)

Advice or a brief example for VB would be helpful.

Thanks,

Will

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 memory resident database

Quote:

>Hi,

>Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
>a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?

By this you mean using a Microsoft Database Manager with the data
files held in memory.  You need to look into Ram Disks.

Frankly I would just create an Object that responds to the same
commands and stores the data in arrays.

Quote:

>Any pointers would be great.

>TIA,

>Will

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 memory resident database

 > >Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
 > >a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?
 >
 > By this you mean using a Microsoft Database Manager with the data
 > files held in memory.  You need to look into Ram Disks.
 >
 > Frankly I would just create an Object that responds to the same
 > commands and stores the data in arrays.

Would OLE Structure Storage be what he's looking for? Dan Appleman was
enthusiastic about it, to the extent of writing about it, but I never
heard much more about it. It could be that it just didn't 'catch on' or
that no one else found it as simple as Appleman did.

I think that an object that came anywhere close to duplicating the
database functions of either Jet or SQL Server would require a
prodigious amount of work.

--
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.ntpcug.org - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 02 Apr 2003 08:55:07 GMT
 memory resident database

Quote:
>> We do this since DOS - no problem if you have enough memory :-)

>Advice or a brief example for VB would be helpful.

Sorry for my short answer. You've to look for a ram disk driver for your
system, and then you can store all on this virtual drive much faster than on
hard disk drives - if you have enough memory, and mostly you'll never have
enough. Search for RAM DRIVE or RAM DISK.

Another way if you want share data between applications could be memory
mapped files. These are portions of memory which can be accessed from
different applications running at the same time, a fast but not very
comfortable way.

Regards,
Reinhold

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 memory resident database
Sounds like a ADO disconnected record set might work for you.  Checkout:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period00/adorecordset.htm

Quote:

> Hi,

> Is it possible with any of the MS db technologies to create
> a complete database in memory and have nothing written to disk?

> Any pointers would be great.

> TIA,

> Will

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Memory Resident Applications

2. Memory Resident

3. Calling memory-resident procedures

4. Memory Resident (2nd Post)

5. Memory Resident QB

6. How PROGRAMMATICALLY ShutDown a memory resident program ?

7. Making a VB Memory Resident Program?

8. memory resident program

9. How make prg on resident memory

10. Memory Resident Applications