Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application
Author Message
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi,
Part of a possible future requirement for a project I am currently working
on,  is the ability for users to be automatically logged out of the program
after a specified interval of inactivity. For multi-user purposes, this will
have to be done at the UI level (VB5). I know I could attached Some sort of
procedure on the Mouse and Keyboard events of every Control and window in
the system, but that would be sort of brutal as far as maintainability goes.
Is there away I can get an event from the OS anytime a mouse action or
keyboard stroke is processed within the application or any of it's child
windows? If any of you know how to do it in VB that would be great,
otherwise VC++ would be Ok as well.
Thanks for your help.

Ryan Gallagher
================================
Quadrus Development Inc.
Phone : (403) 459-7158  Fax: (403) 458-5414

================================

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

rite your own screen saver - if the screen saver program is started, there
was a specified interval of inactivity

Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Use a MessageBlaster it is cheap, good and you can trap ANY message going
to a window

Quote:
> Hi,
> Part of a possible future requirement for a project I am currently
working
> on,  is the ability for users to be automatically logged out of the
program
> after a specified interval of inactivity. For multi-user purposes, this
will
> have to be done at the UI level (VB5). I know I could attached Some sort
of
> procedure on the Mouse and Keyboard events of every Control and window in
> the system, but that would be sort of brutal as far as maintainability
goes.
> Is there away I can get an event from the OS anytime a mouse action or
> keyboard stroke is processed within the application or any of it's child
> windows? If any of you know how to do it in VB that would be great,
> otherwise VC++ would be Ok as well.
> Thanks for your help.

> Ryan Gallagher
> ================================
> Quadrus Development Inc.
> Phone : (403) 459-7158  Fax: (403) 458-5414

> ================================

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

How can I use MessageBlaster ?
Do I have to buy or download from which site ?

Quote:
>Use a MessageBlaster it is cheap, good and you can trap ANY message going
>to a window

>> Hi,
>> Part of a possible future requirement for a project I am currently
>working
>> on,  is the ability for users to be automatically logged out of the
>program
>> after a specified interval of inactivity. For multi-user purposes, this
>will
>> have to be done at the UI level (VB5). I know I could attached Some sort
>of
>> procedure on the Mouse and Keyboard events of every Control and window in
>> the system, but that would be sort of brutal as far as maintainability
>goes.
>> Is there away I can get an event from the OS anytime a mouse action or
>> keyboard stroke is processed within the application or any of it's child
>> windows? If any of you know how to do it in VB that would be great,
>> otherwise VC++ would be Ok as well.
>> Thanks for your help.

>> Ryan Gallagher
>> ================================
>> Quadrus Development Inc.
>> Phone : (403) 459-7158  Fax: (403) 458-5414

>> ================================

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

It's from Microsoft (free)

Cho, Kwangje heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:
>How can I use MessageBlaster ?
>Do I have to buy or download from which site ?

>>Use a MessageBlaster it is cheap, good and you can trap ANY message going
>>to a window

>>> Hi,
>>> Part of a possible future requirement for a project I am currently
>>working
>>> on,  is the ability for users to be automatically logged out of the
>>program
>>> after a specified interval of inactivity. For multi-user purposes, this
>>will
>>> have to be done at the UI level (VB5). I know I could attached Some sort
>>of
>>> procedure on the Mouse and Keyboard events of every Control and window
in
>>> the system, but that would be sort of brutal as far as maintainability
>>goes.
>>> Is there away I can get an event from the OS anytime a mouse action or
>>> keyboard stroke is processed within the application or any of it's child
>>> windows? If any of you know how to do it in VB that would be great,
>>> otherwise VC++ would be Ok as well.
>>> Thanks for your help.

>>> Ryan Gallagher
>>> ================================
>>> Quadrus Development Inc.
>>> Phone : (403) 459-7158  Fax: (403) 458-5414

>>> ================================

Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Thank you about your concern.
But, I need OCX version or source code.
I have VB5 but that can not use VBX module.
Where is OCX version of MessageBlaster ?
Answer please .....

Quote:
>It's from Microsoft (free)

>Cho, Kwangje heeft geschreven in bericht

>>How can I use MessageBlaster ?
>>Do I have to buy or download from which site ?

>>>Use a MessageBlaster it is cheap, good and you can trap ANY message going
>>>to a window

>>>working
>>>program
>>>will
>>>of
>in
>>>goes.

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Good advice for everyone. rg

--
R. W. Gerling

http://www.rgerling.com
|Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
|neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
|always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
|almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
|to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions
are
|screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
|things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code,
errors
|can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should
only
|be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
|will almost definitely know what I am talking about!
|
|Nick Maxwell
|

|>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
|globally.
|>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
|within
|>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
|>you have any success, I really like to know.
|>

|>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Quote:

>I've found it to be difficult to capture mouse & keyboard messages
globally.
>Lots of system errors - in particular with the Mouse Hook.   Its easy
within
>the program hooking the messages.  I have included the sample I tried.  If
>you have any success, I really like to know.

>Good Luck - Jack Rasnick

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

Hi Jack.  I have my 2 cents to input to the answer of your question.  I am
neither an expert at MFC win programming, nor C++ programming.  But, I have
always made it a rule of thumb to declare variables globally.  This will
almost always cause system errors and the like and it is almost impossible
to find the source of the errors because you do not know which functions are
screwing things up.  Might I suggest passing by reference?  This makes
things much clearer, and with a little more effort put into the code, errors
can be hunted down and destroyed very quickly.  Global variables should only
be used when absolutely necessary.  Anyway, give my advice a chance and you
will almost definitely know what I am talking about!

Nick Maxwell

Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

2. Capturing Mouse & Keyboard Events Anywhere in Application

3. Capturing Mouse/Keyboard Events at the Application Level

4. How do I capture mouse and keyboard events?

5. capturing mouse and keyboard events

6. VB6 application causing erratic mouse & keyboard behavoiur

7. Questions on Mouse & Keyboard events

8. How to trap mouse left-click event anywhere

9. How can I capture keyboard and mouse inputs

10. capture keyboard events without interfering with apps

11. Capturing Keyboard Event

12. Capture desktop keyboard events?