256 Color Bitmap Palettes in VB4?
Author Message
 256 Color Bitmap Palettes in VB4?

Hi Again all,

Thanks for your help in getting me started in Bitblt etc regarding the
resizing of bitmaps.

And now for another question with 256 colors...

I have a form with an image loaded as artwork. It does not change.
However when I load a bitmap image into an image or picture box
it assumes the palette of the image in the forms artwork. This causes
the colors in the new image to get messed up. Or sometimes the colors
in the artwork image gets messed up if the picture box is OK.

Is there a way to allow both images to operate off their own palettes?
(Please Donald don't tell me to got to Bitblt again.... I need some
rest <ggg>)

16 bit or 24 bit it is fine of course.

Any thoughts anybody?

Thanks again,
Steve

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 256 Color Bitmap Palettes in VB4?

Steve,

The current issue of Visual Basic Programmer's Journal discusses this
problem.

In a nutshell, the color palate for the bitmap you are trying to use is
incompatible with the color palate being used by windows.

Your solutions are twofold

1)  Require 16-bit color or higher from your users (impractical).
2)  Change or edit your bitmap.  Paint Shop Pro (demo is a free download)
will let you increase the color depth to 16-bit, then you can decrease the
color back down to 8-bit selecting the "Use Standard Windows Colors"
option.  This will change the color of your bitmap though.

Please keep in mind that these are layman answers.  I am not a graphic
artist so my knowledge of color palates is limited.

Don Good

Quote:
> Hi Again all,

> Thanks for your help in getting me started in Bitblt etc regarding the
> resizing of bitmaps.

> And now for another question with 256 colors...

> I have a form with an image loaded as artwork. It does not change.
> However when I load a bitmap image into an image or picture box
> it assumes the palette of the image in the forms artwork. This causes
> the colors in the new image to get messed up. Or sometimes the colors
> in the artwork image gets messed up if the picture box is OK.

> Is there a way to allow both images to operate off their own palettes?
> (Please Donald don't tell me to got to Bitblt again.... I need some
> rest <ggg>)

> 16 bit or 24 bit it is fine of course.

> Any thoughts anybody?

> Thanks again,
> Steve

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 256 Color Bitmap Palettes in VB4?

Quote:

> Hi Again all,

> Thanks for your help in getting me started in Bitblt etc regarding the
> resizing of bitmaps.

> And now for another question with 256 colors...

> I have a form with an image loaded as artwork. It does not change.
> However when I load a bitmap image into an image or picture box
> it assumes the palette of the image in the forms artwork. This causes
> the colors in the new image to get messed up. Or sometimes the colors
> in the artwork image gets messed up if the picture box is OK.

> Is there a way to allow both images to operate off their own palettes?
> (Please Donald don't tell me to got to Bitblt again.... I need some
> rest <ggg>)

> 16 bit or 24 bit it is fine of course.

> Any thoughts anybody?

> Thanks again,
> Steve

Hi,
Commercial VBX's & OCX's (our is $299) handle things like 256 mapping,
optimum or universal palettes, stretching, etc. for you.  Just in case
you get real frustrated, I thought you would want to know!  Also, allow
additional image types like gif and jpeg.  Free trial at:
http://www.imagn.com/
Good luck,
jack

http://www.jpg.com/ - Pegasus Imaging Corp - the BETTER JPEG people!

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 256 Color Bitmap Palettes in VB4?

Quote:

>Hi Again all,

>Thanks for your help in getting me started in Bitblt etc regarding the
>resizing of bitmaps.

>And now for another question with 256 colors...

>I have a form with an image loaded as artwork. It does not change.
>However when I load a bitmap image into an image or picture box
>it assumes the palette of the image in the forms artwork. This causes
>the colors in the new image to get messed up. Or sometimes the colors
>in the artwork image gets messed up if the picture box is OK.

>Is there a way to allow both images to operate off their own palettes?
>(Please Donald don't tell me to got to Bitblt again.... I need some
>rest <ggg>)

>16 bit or 24 bit it is fine of course.

>Any thoughts anybody?

>Thanks again,
>Steve

I just experienced this problem myself.  The solution is discussed in
the Microsoft KB Bug Help file.  After copying a picture from one
control to another, use the "ZOrder 0" command on the control who's
pallette you want to use, then the "Refresh" command on the control
you copied the bitmap to.  I don't think it works for an Image
control, but it worked on my PictureBox controls.  (The help file
talked about using it when changing 256 color bitmaps on 3D buttons.)

Bud Baker

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

2. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

3. How do I rotate the Palette when I have a 256 color Bitmap

4. 256-color palette in VB4 MDI Forms

5. Using 256 color Palettes in High/True Color

6. choose a color in a 256 color palette ?

7. Change Screen Color Palette from 256 to hi-color in VB

8. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

9. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

10. color palette not accessible in 256+ color settings

11. Monochrome bitmap from 256 color bitmap

12. 256 Color Palette